1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ICT Courses that attract funding?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by wildcat, May 18, 2011.

1. I am rapidly becoming the only ICT teacher in my school (due to cutbacks) I have been told to find a course that I can deliver to KS3, that will give the students a KS4 qualification, it can't be functional skills or any online test, and it must attract funding!
    Anyone got a spare Genie in a lamp I could borrow? or sensible suggestions? We have so far delivered GCSE ICT Short Course which didn't work out under the old spec, and GCSE BCS which isn't working out that well either under the new one.
    Thank you,
    WildCat

2. I am rapidly becoming the only ICT teacher in my school (due to cutbacks) I have been told to find a course that I can deliver to KS3, that will give the students a KS4 qualification, it can't be functional skills or any online test, and it must attract funding!
    Anyone got a spare Genie in a lamp I could borrow? or sensible suggestions? We have so far delivered GCSE ICT Short Course which didn't work out under the old spec, and GCSE BCS which isn't working out that well either under the new one.
    Thank you,
    WildCat

3. Go with OCR Nationals. Follow the crowd along with most muppet HoDs and get bag loads of GCSE equivalencies in KS3.
    Although be warned. You only have a few more years of Mickey Mouse and then like 100s of secondaries around the country, the real world and real teaching will come knocking.
    My advice, no doubt considered useless after the above, is to go back to your SLT and state that success with level 2 courses is not feasible in years 7 to 9. Furthermore, ask how many other departments in your school are required to deliver GCSE in KS3. I bet its only forced upon ICT.

4. How about OCR's new Level 2 iTQ QCF Extended Certificate? It's worth the equivalent of 2 GCSEs and you can get half of the optional unit points by doing level 1 units. You can give your students CLAiT papers to sit instead of having to produce a portfolio of evidence if you wish. For the extended certificate they can get 10 points at level 1 and 11 at level 2 plus the 4 for the mandatory unit to make the 25 required (that's equivalent to passing New CLAiT Spreadsheets, Web Design and E-mail plus CLAiT Plus Word Processing, Presentation software and Desktop publishing software). As students can sit the CLAiT exams whenever they are ready (and split them across sessions if necessary) they can receive certificates as they progress through the course which may motivate some, they'll also still get the Award or standard Certificate if they get enough points.
    www.allaboutitq.co

5. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

"Attracting funding", I can't see that it is possible. Don't want to worry you but I think they are asking for the impossible to be done, and that would worry me as to why they are asking me to do something that can't be done and I suspect they probably know that it can't. As pointed out above what other subject is being asked to do this at your school? If I were you I would make them put the request in writing and get in touch with union for advice, then go back to them, tell them you can't find anything and see what happens next. £10 says they are forcing it cross curricular by the back door because what they are asking for is a non starter.
    Don't forget I am completely guessing here.

6. I'd agree with the above ^^^. They're trying it on .

7. Our SLT recently suggested that we run OCR Nationals from years 7 to 9...as a department we declined! While it might work in grammar schools or some such, realistically getting kids through the hoops of the mark schemes is going to be messy.
    Particularly if you have year 7s with the reading ability of a 5 year old.

8. ICT Don

ICT Don New commenter

I once went on a visit to a local school, at the request of the SLT, to see the implementation of such a model. "No need to worry about KS3." I moved jobs shortly after to another local comprehensive.
    I have had enough of people playing the system and would welcome a move to 100% one-off examinations in subjects. Coursework is abused and devalues any subject that uses it as a method of assessment.
    Too many jumped-up careerists have made a mockery of our subject and it needs to stop. At any other time those people who chose the path of least resistance would have been found out long ago.

9. Thank you all for your advice, I am tending to agree with the view that SLT are trying it on and am taking the issue to my union for further advice/support.