1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ICT - course options

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by nathanoxford100, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Hi,
    We currently work the following in to our ICT curriculum model:
    KS3 - Nationals Strategy modified units, plus embedded Microsoft Digital Literacy
    KS4 - Currently OCR Nationals, but moving to EdEXCEL ICT 2010 in Sept.
    and Computing OCR GCSE

KS5 - Currently Level 3 OCR Nationals and Computing
    I was wondering what peoples experiences were with EdEXCEL ICT? and what course this would ideally lead on to for ICT - to replace the OCR Nationals. EDEXCEL only offer the Applied ICT course at GCE.
    Thanks

2. jweb2k

jweb2k New commenter

The current Edexcel Applied ICT is very good. I've no idea whether that will have changed by the time your KS4's come to take it though!

3. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

I always wonder why people want to make such dramatic changes to what they deliver. Surely the "wise" thing to do would be to simply carry on with the Cambridge Nationals. Seems to me it's pretty much just like the old Nationals spec with a 1 hour exam slapped on it.

4. I find it quite interesting that you're going from the vocational (Nats) route straight to a GCSE route. What is the reasoning for not going with the Cambridge Nationals or a BTEC?

5. Same thought, same time.

Also Unit 1 is now board-set.

6. We review our ks3 program yearly. It has more computing than ict in it now. I would avoid gcse ict courses - they are dire. The nationals course has improved but it has a poor reputation and comes with a lot of baggage. It will never shake off its mickey mouse label. Your move towards computing at ks4, and I would do it at ks 5 too, is a smart move.

7. Hi all and thank-you for your replies.

We aren't "jumping ship" - our Y9 have started OCR Nationals Level 2 - and will continue on this through Y10-Y11 etc.
    However, we felt that a move to a "traditional" GCSE would be of benefit to students and to us as educators.
    We all felt that the OCR Nationals course isn't/wasn't challenging and takes us, the teacher, away from being able to "teach" - how many times do you see yourself saying "OK, login - continue with your cwk!" and then supporting students on an individual basis?
    We also felt that a move from the "vocational" ICT to a traditional ICT course would help develop the skills more needed in the work place and without the bad reputation OCR Nationals has got (See OFSTED report for ICT review etc).
    By continuing with the framework of offering KS3 student a taste of digital literacy, ICT and computing - they can make informed choice at KS4 / KS5 regarding a specific ICT or Computing pathway.

I really appreciate your input, as stated above, I will take a look at the applied ICT course from EDEXCEL too. I've taught OCR and AQA ICT - they both seem OK too.

8. tjra

tjra Occasional commenter

9. tjra

tjra Occasional commenter

It only counts for 1 GCSE equivalent and as students can only have 2 vocational then if you CAN offer a GCSE then I feel you should do, if only for the school.

10. That only applies if the school is offering several other vocational courses. Mine doesn't so it's not an issue.
    Further, if your pathways/timetables are properly set up it's simple enough to limit students to just two vocational courses.