1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ICT Course for next year

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by DEmsley, Feb 17, 2011.

1. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

2. gavcradd

gavcradd New commenter

The AQA GCSE spec is excellent, and the support from the board is first class.
    I'd go that way.

3. gavcradd

gavcradd New commenter

I'd add to that that I've had horrendous problems with Edex-hell in the past, their advisors telling me wrong submission dates for coursework, not following through with things that they said they'd do. If the choice was Edxcel or anybody, I'd go with anybody - the fact that the other choice is AQA, who i've had excellent experience with, should seal the deal.
    Why can't this board let me edit posts???

4. This whole thread is pointless. Don't listen to the mega-egos who promote a single board over others. All the boards have their positive and negatives. Just go with your experience and what seems best for your learners. I've had nothing but negative experiences with AQA and Edexcel have been excellent on the whole.

5. Isn't the whole point of the thread to find out what other people think?!

6. Mr_G_ICT

Mr_G_ICT New commenter

this school has been using OCR Nats for the last 2/3 years and that's the issue. The kids need something more "academic" to get their brains working as the Nats are leaving all of them bored and frustrated.
    Some of our dept want Edexcell, others the AQA, i can't decide. I'm leaning towards aqa because it looks more "project" based and as much as the resources for edexcell look pretty good, i'm not sure about the rigour of it.

7. gavcradd

gavcradd New commenter

Ben I think you need to look at the delivery of the the Nationals in your school then if that's the case. As you know, I've been using the Nationals for ages and the students absolutely love it. It's the best course I've taught in all my years as an ICT teacher, we have loads of options for the units and most students genuinely love it.

The push for a more academic qualification in schools is probably coming from the head who is wary of the Wolf review, due any time now. I like the GCSE specs, don't get me wrong, but they don't allow the flexibility that OCR Nationals do.

We're moving to Nationals for the B band, GCSE (AQA) for the A band, with a small group at the top doing GCSE Computing.

8. I am quite enjoying teaching BTEC at the moment, they even call it "IT".
    Not keen on OCR - seem to be scaled every year, then given the marks back.

9. <u>"If it's not good enough for your own children then it's not good enough for anyone else's"</u>
    I cannot find any Sixth Form College in my area that value any of the Vocational Courses in ICT. When I ask them face to face their expression says all I need to know. If you would want your own Son or Daughter to do a Vocational Course fair enough. But not for my children. My daughter resisted taking Vocational Courses (she was in lower sets) and went on the get 2 A's and a B at A level. Vocational courses could have shut that door in her face! AQA GCSE ICT is fine.

10. What a pointless, irrelevant, self-indulgent and uninformative comment.

11. Good for you

12. here here