1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ICT core subject or not?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Imtellingonyou, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Imtellingonyou

Imtellingonyou New commenter

I thought that ICT had been classed as a non core subject but in a meeting today, an ICT coordinator at a middle school said it was still core, who's right? Also, what is the statutory requirement to assess ICT?

2. Imtellingonyou

Imtellingonyou New commenter

I thought that ICT had been classed as a non core subject but in a meeting today, an ICT coordinator at a middle school said it was still core, who's right? Also, what is the statutory requirement to assess ICT?

3. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

Isn't core,, never was. See here, written in 2007, the law (ie the National Curriculum) has not changed since.
    No statutory reponsibilities re assessment, but your school should have a policy

4. mrajlong

mrajlong Established commenter

ICT is very hard to assess anyway, especially with the ridiculous learning objectives in the NC. Kids absorb this stuff like a sponge. A lot of kids are more savvy than the teachers (not all, but we know the ones I'm talking about). ICT is now used at every level of every day life - all we can teach is what our resources/abilities allow us to. I'm ICT coordinator and am currently rolling in a new curriculum that I am writing - hard though - and will probably be obsolete again in a couple of years!

5. paul_mc1

paul_mc1 New commenter

Thank you!!! Knew I was right!!!!!

6. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Unless you're also in a middle school and running a 2-year KS3, in which case the requirements are as for all other foundation subjects at the end of KS3 this year... and then none from September!