1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ICT Coordinator

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by SR181, May 16, 2016.

1. SR181

SR181 New commenter

Hi, I've been given the role as ICT coordinator (Infant & Primary) and I was just wondering what kinds of things I can do to have 'whole school impact' and drive the subject forward. I understand a lot to do with the actual hardware but was wondering what more I could do?.. I was Science before and had a science week, science projects, assemblies and visitors; we also do maths days as well as book week for literacy etc. I just feel a bit stumped with ICT, especially as a lot of staff are not confident with the subject. Any help would be much appreciated! :)

2. HeatonMoorDigital

HeatonMoorDigital New commenter

SR181 likes this.
  3. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

ICT co-ordinator?!

One thing I've noticed about my daughter's school is that they miss a lot of opportunities to discuss algorithms or include Computing ideas. For example, they recently did a Romans topic and apparently need to know about Roman Numerals - that seems like the ideal opportunity to discuss an algorithm for converting numbers to Roman Numerals. They could also have discussed Caesar Shift Ciphers and the need for security.

SR181 likes this.
  4. Luvsskiing

Luvsskiing Established commenter

"They could also have discussed Caesar Shift Ciphers and the need for security."

Should they study this in the Reception class or year 1?

Dorsetdreams and Alldone like this.
  5. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

Maybe not, although an idea of privacy wouldn't hurt. "Primary" goes up to year 6, though.

clickschool likes this.
  6. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

>>>> Should they study this in the Reception class or year 1?

ROFLOL!

Luvsskiing likes this.
  7. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

8. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Boringly, you need to do an audit and needs analysis if your "whole school impact" is going to be more meaningful than gimmicky. NAACE are still peddling the self review framework which is one way in for the inexperienced subject leader.

ICT is long gone, I hope they're not calling you "ICT Coordinator" ...

9. Luvsskiing

Luvsskiing Established commenter

Agreed. You should be called the "Computer Science coordinator".

:)

10. colwynexile

colwynexile Occasional commenter

I wondered how long it would take for the primary coordinators thread to be revived. Welcome back Becktonboy

11. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

Hi there. the traffic has definitely dropped off in the last 18 months - I retired 3 years ago and don't contribute much on the forum nowadays. The toolkit has gone out from me to about 2500 people over the years, plus whatever has been downloaded from the resource bank but with the 'new' curriculum I have felt less qualified to contribute. Having said that, I sent the toolkit our to someone 24 hours ago who got back to say it was definitely going to be useful when they get into their new role next September, so it's worth a look at. Thanx for the shout-out

12. Alldone

Alldone Senior commenter

Could the government put this is year 1 SATs?

13. jillguy40

jillguy40 New commenter

Please could you send me the info as I may become a co ordinator?

14. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

Did send this, a while ago

15. wanet

wanet Star commenter

becktonboy - why not add this to TES resources - you could even charge for it and make a bit of money?

16. jf130

jf130 New commenter

Could I also receive a copy? j_fleck101@hotmail.co.uk
    Thank you!