1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ICT ..can we teach them ANYTHING now?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by daffodilval, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Can we teach KS2 anything to do with ICT anymore? Or can they teach us.?
    Quite thought provoking!

2. Can we teach KS2 anything to do with ICT anymore? Or can they teach us.?
    Quite thought provoking!

3. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I certainly think we can, but we're having to up our game somewhat. I think that point is that many children children learn new ICT skills extremely quickly nowadays, and as such the days of spending half a term teaching them how to word process or set up a spreadsheet or produce a powerpoint slideshow are long gone. Many of the old units designed to be taught over a half term whereas many such units could be covered in one lesson these days.
    It depends on the catchment as well, certain children are more likely to have been exposed to such things out of school, whereas some will have seen nothing more than console games outside school and will never have had the chance to learn such skills other than in the classroom/ICT suite. Or if they have got computers, they're just using the internet, meaning, sadly, that internet safety is something we're also having teach children more and more about. Year on year, it increasingly depresses me how many Y5&6 children seem to be talking about being on Facebook!
    It's also a case of seeing what new software is out there. Rather than relying on the old standards of Word/Excel/Powerpoint and Publisher, look into CAD software, movie making and editing software, the world of blogging, podcasts, video broadcasting etc. Unfortunately that means moving with the times ourselves and learning now skills ourselves, which some of us dinosaurs don't always like to do, but unfortunately have to!
    Additionally, it's important to think about the context of ICT lessons as well. Certainly when I teach ICT these days, I teach the skills in a far more applied manner. ICT lessons are rarely implicit ICT lessons, where everybody troops down to the ICT Suite, learns how to produce a spreadsheet and troops back again. Skills will be taught regarding software applications in the context of a Maths, English, Science or History (or whatever) lesson.
    So, yes I certainly think we can, but just have to move with the times a little.

4. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Apologies for the numerous grammatical howlers and typos in the above - the perils of insomnia-inspired posting!

5. and no harm regarding ict as mutual learning time - my y6 are especially ict savvy and i'm not embarrassed to learn

6. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

Surely we can't, if the KS2 ICT curriculum is to focus on social networking (uploading and viewing pictures, writing text messages), mobile phone use (taking and uploading pictures and sending text messages), messaging (no pictures), gaming (pressing control buttons frequently with lots of noise to move pictures around and possibly text messaging with other gamers) and possibly taking digital photographs uploading them to a website and choosing a few features which the site will then impose on the picture before it is sent (with or without text).
    If we find that our KS2 children can understand, create and use databases, spreadsheets, graphics (Bitmap, Vector), digital imagery (still and video), sound files, data logs, various forms of multimedia presentations (combining much of the above) and sequences of complex instructions and transfer their skills to different applications of similar types, then I would assume that they have been well taught at EYFS, KS1 and early KS2, because they definitely did not acquire most of that knowledge and skill anywhere else.
    If our KS2 children can't do this, then the answer to your question is yes.

7. What he said :)
    Plus of course, PLEASE do not make the mistake of thinking ICT means 'Powerpoint/Excel/Word/etc - these are purely Office software brands, they are NOT ICT, but one way of using ict - if all we teach the kids is how to use these, you are not teaching them ICT at all (and will make secondary ICT teachers want to kill themselves). Besides which, most PP presentations are completely and utterly **** - lots of different styles, things whizzing in all over the place, magic sound effects, reams and reams of text - these DO NOT make a good PP, I have yet to be in a Primary school that actually teaches this is any way (obviously this doesn't apply to all your schools that I've never been in, but you'd be shocked at the others [​IMG] )
    At the start of the year my class used to groan when I said we were having an ICT lesson not in the ICT suite - they didn't understand how you could learn ICT without 'playing' on a PC - they know heaps more now and can actually think for themselves and implement things as we have done the basics on paper before we get to play with the clicky thing and buttons (mouse and keyboard). They no longer groan and actually produce work they are proud of now.
    Touch typing is also a good skill that could actually do miles of good, if you think you can't teach them anything else, just do that, at least they wil go into year 7 taking less than the entire lesson to log on!

8. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

got to be careful there, pixie, typing - sorry, presentation - is actually a literacy skill, not ICT....
    we do, with planning done on a clicky thing, using said buttons.
    Sadly, I absolutely wouldn't..

9. We can teach KS2 so much in ICT.
    We are teaching children to research responsibly and safely and to sieve and pick out key information, analysing the importance of what they are finding and what can be used for their own work.
    We are educating them to communicate clearly, thinking about the audience and purpose of what they are doing and selecting the appropriate skills and tools that will enable them to do this.
    Children are taught to handle data and to represent it clearly and a to draw conlcusions about what they have found out.
    They use contol and monitoring technology and modelling software to solve problems and to create solutions.
    Children between 7 and 11 do not (except in the most exceptional of cases) have these skills.