1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ICT at Level 3

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Tony22, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Tony22

Tony22 New commenter

Anyone? What do your schools do at KS5 regarding ICT and would you reccommend it for kids coming from OCR Nationals level 2?

2. I work in an FE college and we run OCR Nat for our level 2 students and then they progress onto the BTEC National for IT Practitioners in level 3. The structure, flexibility and gradings are similar and the vocational aspects tie up nicely. Our students seem to do quite well moving up to BTEC.
    This is in FE though so might not be quite the same in school! Have you looked at the GCE Applied ICT? I used to teach this when I worked in schools - not sure if it's still running though.

3. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

I replied yesterday so not sure where it went.
    You think there will be no Post 16 education from 2010? Of course courses will run. You need to contact your chosen vendor to find out what is available.
    OCR, AQA, WJEC and EdExcel all do ICT courses, and Computing courses.
    We do EdExcel's Applied ICT which is not bad and WJEC Computing which is good.
    OCR offers iMedia and Nationals at Level 3 which may be more in keeping with what they have already done.
    HTH
    I'm about to start ranting now stebrown25 - not at you - you might want to stop read now.

Where's the HoD/Subject Leader in all this?
    *** is an NQT doing having to trawl round exam boards and fora to find this information out?
    As an NQT the OP should be spending his/her time honing their classroom teaching skills and planning/preparing their own lessons, observing and learning from more experienced colleagues not researching alternative curricula and specifications for something that might not happen!!

4. johncollinswork

johncollinswork New commenter

The obvious next step is Level 3 OCR Nationals.

Plenty of discussion on these forums about them.

A good range of units to.

We've done it for two years now and it has been very well received by both
    teacher and pupils.

5. impis

impis New commenter

My ICT exam group range from level 1 - level 3. We use the WJEC Entry Level ICT course with them, quite successfully.

6. When you say level 1 to level 3, I presume you're talking about the entry level tiers, and not the overall qualification levels. A level 3 student (ie qualification level 3) would be a bit miffed doing entry level, I would have thought.

7. "too".