1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ICT and primary science help please

Discussion in 'Science' started by minnieminx, Feb 25, 2011.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I think I'm going to take the plunge and get some ICT bits to use in science at our school, we currently have nothing. I'm science co-ordinator, but not ICT and the ICT provision is dire, with a co-ord who isn't going to make it better any time soon. So whatever we get needs to work sort of as a stand alone system, though we do have an ICt room which all children use once a week.

Soooo which data logger type things do you use and which is the best for ease of use and encouraging staff not used to ICT in science please?

Ideally I'd like the same system for use from nursery to year 6...but am not sure if this is possible.

I can see in front of me Log Box, Easysense Q3 and LogIT. No clue at all which is better and the technical description seems to be in a different language.

Please help with some ideas.

Thank you in advance.

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I think I'm going to take the plunge and get some ICT bits to use in science at our school, we currently have nothing. I'm science co-ordinator, but not ICT and the ICT provision is dire, with a co-ord who isn't going to make it better any time soon. So whatever we get needs to work sort of as a stand alone system, though we do have an ICt room which all children use once a week.

Soooo which data logger type things do you use and which is the best for ease of use and encouraging staff not used to ICT in science please?

Ideally I'd like the same system for use from nursery to year 6...but am not sure if this is possible.

I can see in front of me Log Box, Easysense Q3 and LogIT. No clue at all which is better and the technical description seems to be in a different language.

Please help with some ideas.

Thank you in advance.

3. To be honest, most science teachers rarely use dataloggers. It was one of those things that the PTB thought everyone would be using all the time and we should be using them in every other lesson. The first flurry of dataloggers bought for schools, very quickly ended up in cupboards, forgotten about. I think a visualiser would be a far better use of money if you want ICT stuff.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Really? Excellent news...was simply trying to appease my school manager by saying we will use ICT in science this coming year.

A visualiser, you say? Google here I come!

5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Don't buy dataloggers. Waste of money, ours have sat on the shelf for the last 10 years unused. Teach the kids how to use thermometers, read analogue meters, tell the time! Understand the metric system, use measuring equipment like rulers and measuring cylinders, work out a scale for a graph, This will do them far more more good in their science education than watching a machine take readings for them and plotting the graph.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOLOL We do all that...honest. Well sort of, we try anyway. Just are given the impression we SHOULD be using ICT to do all this for us.

Any ideas what visualiser is best then? Will the cheapest be good enough?