1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ICT across the curriculum

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by nprudom, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Hi. I'm Head of ICT in an 11-16 Secondary school with around 1000 pupils. I've just been given the role of ICT across the Curriculum too. I was just wondering what types of things other people do in terms of developing this role. We no longer use a VLE and with these times of cut backs I have no budget to buy anything. Anyone got any suggestions???
    Thanks! Nicola

• Moodle
    • start a web server at school where you can place intranet content on
    • look at how ICT is being used in lessons and how you can support that
    • subject/department/faculty audit of their ICT skill
    • Look at how mobile apps could engage pupils further
    • Parental contact / reporting
    There's lots more but just pick a few areas and develop them fully!

2. Thanks!

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Ask the other subjects what ICT-based work they do, with one proviso - Powerpoint doesn't count. In fact tell them to assume Microsoft Office isn't an option and see what ideas they've got, if any.

Embarrass them further by asking them what inroads they've made into Audio recording, Video editing, Graphic manipulation and interactive media design.

Don't forget to offer in-house training opportunities for teaching staff and TAs - especially TAs. If they know how to support weak kids who are struggling with computers they become especially useful.

If you haven't got a VLE, invest in a multi-disc copier.

4. Janettap

Janettap New commenter

Why on earth do you want to embarrass other subject staff? Aren't you supposed to help them? I would have thought you would prefer to support them in their efforts to embed ICT in the classroom not put them off.

5. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

If you don't have a VLE you really ought to consider it. "any more"? Why what caused it to be removed?
    I've found recommending a few small applications or ideas often and offering social "drop in" support is efffective. If this move has come from SLT get something ICT based as a target for everyone's CPD next year and run courses in-house but also get some from other providers too.

HTH

6. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

I wouldn't rule out the whole of Office, but I'd certainly point out that using Word to write up coursework, or creating a PowerPoint presentation to illustrate a topic is unlikely to advance a student's ICT skills. You could even show them the ICT level descriptors to show that a document needs to include information in various forms from different sources to even reach level 4, so typing an essay really doesn't count.
    There are opportunities for using spreadsheets and databases in a worthwhile way, though. History is no longer about facts, and all about the validity of sources, for example, so there could be a link to the "fact or opinion" type stuff from the National Strategy, English also does that, and obviously does the "presenting for an audience" thing. Sequencing ideas comes up in English and DT. I think I'd start by giving an overview of ICT, and asking what other departments do that's the same or similar.
    As someone who also teaches Maths, I can see that there are opportunities there - spreadsheet formulae and algebra are similar, and Logo is useful for teaching external angles in polygons. Using ICT tools helps students to visualise things like factors and square numbers, too, e.g. http://www.advanced-ict.info/mathematics/factors.html