1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ICPC or DBS check for overseas schools

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by musikteech, Feb 28, 2016.

1. musikteech

musikteech Occasional commenter

I was just wondering, did the school use your 'current' DBS check when you got offered a position overseas or did they require an International Child Protection Certificate (ICPC)? The ICPC can be used when an overseas school can't access the DBS checking service, since it is for UK use only. Overseas schools can't get a DBS done on you, hence the question did they just accept the current DBS check you have? Which kind did you use?

2. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Was it you who was just wondering about this the other day too? Suggesting overseas schools don't bother with this?

3. musikteech

no. I just want to know what schools do to check people out that's all

4. 576

576 Established commenter

ICPC

5. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

If it is the first time out of the UK then you will need a recognised certificate. From my experience, now on my 4th country, i have only had to supply police checks from the country i was in. I suppose it would be difficult for the UK government to have much information on people that have been out of the country for many years. In comparison to the UK you will find that these types of laws are very superficially enforced. The International community is very small and pretty much everyone knows each other. If you were an issue then in my experience it would be hard to get a job. I am sure that some have slipped through the cracks. Im not sure what others experience of this is. Perhaps its different in "British" schools, i have only worked in IB schools

6. musikteech

That's interesting that you only needed police checks from the country you were in. What if you'd done something in the UK and the UK police had things on their computers about you. oh by the way, the ICPC also includes information from foreign police forces where there is a disclosure agreement between the UK and those countries, so if you've done something in a foreign country and it has been disclosed to the UK police, it will show up on an ICPC

7. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

My understanding of it is, and im sure someone will prove me wrong but, schools only really have to comply with the laws of the country they are in. A lot of these laws only apply in certain countries, UK, Europe, USA etc. Bare in mind i have worked in some odd countries. A similar thing would be health safety laws, i was shocked when i first moved abroad, pretty much every school i've worked in would have been shut down on health and safety grounds alone if they were in the UK.

Like i said earlier, the international circuit is VERY small, and if there was an issue, you would find it difficult to find a job. Lots of international jobs are got by networking and word of mouth. Every year i get emails by friends who are looking to recruit people i have previously worked with. Its all unofficial, but its how its done.

8. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

It's how it's done, revans66. Please "bear" this in mind.