1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Icing with chocolate..

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by RedBedHead94, Nov 2, 2016.

1. RedBedHead94

RedBedHead94 Established commenter

Hi all! Long time observer, first time writing.

My MIL's birthday is this weekend and she has requested I bake her birthday cake alternative - my peanut butter chocolate fudge brownies (normal brownies, layer of smooth peanut butter, topped with tempered dark chocolate.)

I'd like to do the traditional birthday message-y stuff on top, but I think piped icing would not go with the taste of the goodies, so i'm thinking about using tempered white chocolate instead.

Problem is, i've never piped with chocolate before! I think it's a lot less thick than the icing i've used to write with before, and I haven't had the most successful time with it anyway.

Any tips on how I can pull this off? Even cheats would be appreciated! :D

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Use a paper, plastic or cloth bag, that way the chocolate will stay warm and therefore liquid, although you don't want it too warm or it will just run.
    Practise before, chocolate piping works better with 'joined-up' writing rather individual letters. If it proves too difficult, just pipe the first initial of her name with a few scrolls.
    You can buy a tube of chocolate for piping in some supremarkets, could be easier!

BelleDuJour and RedBedHead94 like this.
  3. RedBedHead94

Did it! Came out ok. Thanks everyone!

BelleDuJour and bombaysapphire like this.
  4. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Well done, any photos?

5. RedBedHead94

Here we go! Beautiful (in taste more than aesthetics) Peanut Butter and chocolate brownies. Thanks for the tips everyone!

Attached Files: