1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ice-creams for role play

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by elb3, Jun 10, 2008.

1. We are having an ice-cream parlour for our role play area and I wondered if anyone has any good ideas for making ice-creams that will last for a few weeks. I have seen them somewhere but I can't remember what they were made from. Thank you.

2. i've seen a few ice-creams in ice-cream parlours whilst on supply.

The most common method seems to be rolling up card to make a cone...then for the ice-cream...either a big ball of cotton-wool (a bit messy though as ends up all over the carpet!) or a ball of scrunched up paper..covered with a thin piece of sponge...glue into the cone and they usually last a while!

3. I got an ice cream cone/bowl set from IKEA £2/3 and the children have been using pink, green and brown playdough to make them. We have the ********** order forms and coins and they absolutely love it.WARNING -the carpet may not love it but the the children are having a fantasic time.

4. For our ice cream parlour I got some cheap plastic sundae glasses and used different coloured cotton wool balls for scoops of ice cream - looked really good and children loved it. For the last day of the topic we had real ice cream with loads of sprinkles as a treat! They still talk about it!

5. WE USED PLASTIC ICE- CREAM CONES AND PLAY DOUGH TO MAKE OURS WITH.

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We just use real cones and real icecream ...

7. My sister knitted me some lovely ones...vanilla, chocolate, mint, strawberry. Some with flakes and some without. I was a really successful role play area too.

Mimi

8. TRY EBAY FOR KNITTED ICE CREAM - Do a search about £6 for 5 incl p&p ish!!...

9. Ibuzzybea

Ibuzzybea Occasional commenter

Not made but got icecreams and lollys from tesco (£1 for 3) they containe bubbles that smell nice so got two toys for price of one. If you need very soon i guess you could empty bubbles into pots.

10. Do you want some knitting patterns for ice creams, ice cream sundaes or ice lollies? Leave your email address and I will send a copy.

11. wow! thank you for all those ideas. I had never thought of knitted ice-creams. My knitting is rubbish so i won't knit my own but I may well look on ebay. I'd love to do the real ice-cream thing - maybe just for one day though, and maybe we could make our own!! Play dough is a good one too. Kids are so excited about the whole thing.

12. inky

inky Lead commenter

Well, I've chucked out our plastic ice cream cones. They were becoming a health hazard and they ended up looking revoltingly chewed up at the ends.

13. We made real ice cream using an ice cream maker too and it was brilliant and done in an hour. The children loved it. Very simple recipe with ready made custard, vanilla and double cream. All the staff now want an ice cream maker!

14. inky

inky Lead commenter

Has anyone made ice-cream with their class? It'd be expensive, I know, but home-made ice-cream is delicious.

15. inky

inky Lead commenter

Crossed posts!

16. cranberryjuice

cranberryjuice New commenter

We made ice cream and sorbet the children loved it, so did the staff!!!
    Could I possibly have a copy of the patterns for the ice creams!

thanks

mj.mski@virgin.net

17. Inky . The recipe we had was 284 ml double cream, 500g finest custard plus vanilla essence. Mix tofether and put in an ice cream maker or freezer.If it goes in the freezer you need to keep mixing it up after an hour or so.Cost a couple of pound.

18. We made impromtu ice cream with soap flkes in the water tray whisked up with red food colouring swirled in. Looks like rasberry ripple. Add scoops and ice cream tubs or cones if you can get them. The card ones work well the children just make new ones as they get tatty.

19. Hi Serenwen,
    I'd love a copy of your knitting patterns please.
    zvitc@hotmail.com