1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ice-cream or sorbet?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by kibosh, Aug 27, 2011.

1. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Which do you prefer and which flavours etc.? I really like Sainsbos Raspberry sorbet. Asda used to do a Sicilian Lemon sorbet that was out of this world, but I've not been able to find it this year.
    *for those of you shivering in the cold today, try and imagine that it's summer*

2. Ice cream for a treat, sorbet for a dessert. Caramel Chew Chew is my favourite ice cream, closely followed by Strawberry Shortcake. Vanilla ice cream on a cone and with apple pie...

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Arabic coffee sorbet is divine!

4. Ice cream for those days.
    Sorbet for pudding, apple sorbet with hot apple pie sounds weird but tastes great!
    Climber's favourite is a gooseberry pie/crumble with elderflower sorbet.
    And a passionfruit sorbet is just a wonder....

But I usually make do with granita, easier to make and they disappear really quickly. Any longlife fruit drink can go into the freezer and you get some weird and wonderful flavours!

5. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

6. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Hmmmmm, I'm really liking the sound of that. Do you make your own?

7. Yes, I make my own.
    And I cheat, with the fruit drinks, too! They end up easier and cheaper, if a bit sweet!
    I once found a bottle of passionfruit pulp in an Asian shop - best sorbet I ever made! But I have never found it since. Mango pulp is good too, especially Asian ones as they rae less sweet!
    If you find pulp and want to let it down use apple juice or water!

8. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I love mango. Do you have a machine and if not how do you stop large ice crystals forming? I'm lazy and don't fancy having to take it out the freezer every 30mins for a stir.

9. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I like both, but sorbet is probably tops.
    Having said that I had the most delicious gooseberry yoghurt ice cream in Cornwall this summer......quite the most yummy ice cream EVER!

10. That's why we do granita's instead [​IMG]
    No machine and it gets pulled out of the freezer once or twice, eaten the day of making or allowed to defrost then it gets drunk - handy when most of it was originally a drink anyway!
    But I also make very posh ice cream without a machine. I don't really mind taking it out of the freezer a few times.

11. Ah! I made one of those about a week ago.
    I had bought a big pot of yog and it came as a twofer. I couldn't eat the second one so I make it into ice cream. Straight into the freezer, stirred regularly until fully frozen. It was very nice! I might do it again but add a bit of double cream if I happen to have any - just to add a bit more creaminess!

12. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Had to google that [​IMG]
    Sounds intriguing. What flavour?

13. You name it I have probably tried it. I made a lot of Mrs Roskilly alikes for a while. All without a machine!
    But nowadays we make coarse granitas. If you are going to try it remember the savoury versions. Rosemary granita is great, sage a bit of an acquired taste. Just try any strongly flavoured water basically! They don't carry 'bits' at all well.

14. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Do you eat them as a palette cleanser tween courses or just as a refreshing thing on a hot day?

15. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I'm wondering if I could make an irn-bru one [​IMG]

16. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Ben & jerrys chocolate fudge brownie or phish food. Fruit isn't meant to be creamy!
    Tesco did passionfruit sorbet years & years ago which was divine but only place I've seen it since was in waitrose on a trip down south. X

17. Savoury ones? Whenever it is too hot to breathe and I don't want any
    more sugary cold stuff. I do some to go with cheese in summer too,
    again the rosemary one is good.
    And yes, you could make an irn-bru one. I made a Dr Peppers one for my nephew once.
    Sorry, I do make a whole heap of weird things! Not all of them work!

Oh it is...... honest! I make a great Eton Mess ice cream too! Custard base, raspberries and a double or clotted cream ripple. You have to leave out the meringue, it melts away to nothing, but add it when you serve the ice cream and all is well.
    But if you meant the gooseberry one, they work really well with cream however you eat them, like a gooseberry fool!

And I wonder why I am so fat and can't lose weight [​IMG]

18. Oh now look what you've done! Now I want ice-cream and we haven't got any! And I'm already in my dressing gown because it's so cold. [​IMG]
    Jamie Oliver has a good passionfruit sorbet recipe i.e. always works, is delicious. My dinner-party pudding is ginger ice-cream (home-made) with a plum and Drambuie sauce. Serve with a brandy snap.
    But at this moment what I want is strawberry ice-cream. Run down to the shops for me....?

19. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Ice cream here any day. The clue is in the "cream" bit in the name!
    Favourite flavours in this household are chocolate (with burnt sugar added for that real mouth-puckering depth), lemon or clementine. At Christmas we always have Christmas pudding ice cream.

20. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Two of my favourite things. I love cheese and I love the taste of Rosemary. Sorry for all the questions Pobble, but how do you go about eating the rosemary granita and the cheese? Obviously chewing is involved and some slurping perhaps, but how is it served? Is it eaten with oatcakes or similar?