1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ice Cream Makers and Ice Cream Hints, Tips and Recipes

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by nick909, Jun 2, 2011.

1. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I love ice cream. I love it more than almost anything. Most commercial ice cream is a pale imitation of the real stuff though. I still eat the commercial stuff, I hasten to add, as it's enjoyable in the same way that Dairy Milk is enjoyable, despite being a million miles away from real chocolate.
    Even so, every year I think about buying an ice cream maker, and every year I convince myself I don't need an other space taking gadget and don't bother.
    But...this year I think I might go for it...or at least ask for one for my birthday!
    So - what ice cream makers can people recommend? I've seen enough mention of home-made ice cream on here, including EG's latest post re tonight's dinner.
    I've tried with the "hand-beating every hour method", but I found the results too crystally and not really worth all of the effort.
    The prices very wildly it seems, and I suppose you get what you pay for. I'd be ideally looking for up to the hundred quid mark, but would go as high as needed if there was a promise of faultless ice cream.
    So - what makers do people have?

Also - any hints, tips and recipes welcome please!

2. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I love ice cream. I love it more than almost anything. Most commercial ice cream is a pale imitation of the real stuff though. I still eat the commercial stuff, I hasten to add, as it's enjoyable in the same way that Dairy Milk is enjoyable, despite being a million miles away from real chocolate.
    Even so, every year I think about buying an ice cream maker, and every year I convince myself I don't need an other space taking gadget and don't bother.
    But...this year I think I might go for it...or at least ask for one for my birthday!
    So - what ice cream makers can people recommend? I've seen enough mention of home-made ice cream on here, including EG's latest post re tonight's dinner.
    I've tried with the "hand-beating every hour method", but I found the results too crystally and not really worth all of the effort.
    The prices very wildly it seems, and I suppose you get what you pay for. I'd be ideally looking for up to the hundred quid mark, but would go as high as needed if there was a promise of faultless ice cream.
    So - what makers do people have?

Also - any hints, tips and recipes welcome please!

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I have a gelato chef. It's one of the big ones you plug in and needs no pre-freezing.
    I use it a lot, mainly for entertaining. Best results are to make the ice cream mix the day before and chill it right down in the fridge first. Then churn in the machine. It freezes in anything from 20mins to an hour, but for best results it then needs to go into the freezer for a hour or two to firm up.
    Problem is, homemade ice cream really needs to be eaten on the day it is made. It will go rock hard if left in the freezer for more than a couple of hours. Commercial ice cream has additives to keep it soft and/or air blown through it to lighten it up (ie make it go further=more profit!) and keep it soft.

4. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I do not have an ice cream maker.
    I almost added one to our wedding registry but decided not to bother as I knew I wouldn't use it.
    The method of making ice cream that I used yesterday was faultless as far as I'm concerned and required no churning at all which was a wonderful discovery (even if it is high in calories!). Recipe below:
    Heat 500ml of double cream with the seeds scraped out of 2 vanilla pods. When it comes to the boil add 70g caster sugar and stir until dissolved. Pour the cream onto 3 beaten egg yolks and whisk thoroughly until all combined. Pour the ice cream through a sieve and put into a container. When the mixture has cooled put it into the ice cream for at least 4 hours.

5. egyptgirl

Into the freezer for at least 4 hours! Sorry - pregnancy brain!

6. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

That's interesting, EG, I've never heard of a no-churn ice cream. Might give that a bash this weekend,
    Thanks Belle. A self-freezing one would be ideal, as we often don't have enough freezer space to pre-freeze any machine components.
    Ta for the tips - I didn't know that about the commercial stuff. Have to say though, I don't think eating ice cream on the day it's made would be too onerous!

7. egyptgirl

Do, Nick. I'd never heard of a no churn ice cream either - but I was delighted with the results.
    Such a hard task! [​IMG]

8. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I have one of the cheap ice cream makers where you need to pre-freeze the container. My sister had 2 as wedding presents so gave me one. I have used it a lot.
    You need to get the ice cream out of the freezer for 20 minutes before serving but I have regularly kept it in the freezer for up to a week. If you make a custard based ice cream then the thicker you make the custard then the softer the ice-cream.
    I love it flavoured with lemon rind and clementine rind makes a lovely light Christmassy flavour. The great favourite with my nieces, nephews and husband is Nigella's World's Best Chocolate Ice cream - it doesn't even have any cream in but is so chocolatey it makes your toes curl!
    http://my2002in1001days.wordpress.com/2008/10/05/this-really-is-the-worlds-best-chocolate-ice-creamfrom-marcella-to-nigella-to-me/
    It goes down extremely well with home-made cookies fresh from the oven.
    I agree that ice cream is one of the nicest things in the world.

9. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

That's pretty much the basic recipe for vanilla ice cream that then goes into the maching for churning and freezing.
    I would suggest after 4 hours in the freezer it is indeed soft yet frozen, but by the next day it would be rock hard. I'm sure it's lovely, but I'm also sure it would be even lovlier churned in an ice cream machine, as this adds air (hence lightness) and makes it 'fluffier'.
    I use my machine a lot to make sorbets, which are a nightmare to make without one.

10. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I've got a smallPanasonic ice-cream maker, it has to churn, battery operated, whilst in the freezer.

11. henriette

henriette New commenter

I had a kep-in-the -freezer one for a number of years, but my darling o/h gave me a "proper" one for my birthday and I love it to bits.
    I experiment a lot with "cheat" ice cream and sorbet; some work, some don't.
    Growing up, my mother used to make ice cream for us:
    1 tin chilled evaporated milk whisked with 1 pot chilled non-dairy whipping cream (Elmlea or similar) until thick. Sweeten with soft brown sugar and add a tsp of vanilla. Put in plastic box and freeze. Allow to defrost 20 mins at room temperature before serving.
    I used to love this, and my kids and their friends do too when I make it in the machine now!
    Another favourite was 1 tin strawberries, pureed; 1 carton (non-dairy) whipping cream; 1/2 the juice from the can.

12. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Thanks for the tips y'all. Which model do you have, Henriette?