1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ice Cream Maker advice sought!!

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by rustybug, Dec 23, 2011.

1. (Posted on Personal first before I remembered this board!)
    My husband asked for one of these for his birthday last week. His sister got him the Magimix Le Glacier 1.5, but we have been disappointed with it. It advertises that it will make ice cream in 20 mins, but this means 20 mins churning, once you have frozen the bowl for 12 hours and also chilled the mixture (from boiling point). We chilled our mixture till it was at about room temp, and after an hour of churning it still wasn't getting thick, it was more like milkshake than ice cream.
    We slurped at it for a bit, then put the rest in the freezer - now it's quite icecreamish but really like ice cream that has been defrosted, not smooth but icy and hard.
    I was surprised to see that the electric part of it is just the paddle, the actual freezing part of the operation all relies on the chilled bowl. It seems to me it would work more efficiently (and not fail because of the mixture not being very cold to start with) if the chilling part of it was powered?
    Does anyone have any recommendations for a new one, because this one's going back to the shop as not fit for purpose - it says 20 mins on the box!!

2. (Posted on Personal first before I remembered this board!)
    My husband asked for one of these for his birthday last week. His sister got him the Magimix Le Glacier 1.5, but we have been disappointed with it. It advertises that it will make ice cream in 20 mins, but this means 20 mins churning, once you have frozen the bowl for 12 hours and also chilled the mixture (from boiling point). We chilled our mixture till it was at about room temp, and after an hour of churning it still wasn't getting thick, it was more like milkshake than ice cream.
    We slurped at it for a bit, then put the rest in the freezer - now it's quite icecreamish but really like ice cream that has been defrosted, not smooth but icy and hard.
    I was surprised to see that the electric part of it is just the paddle, the actual freezing part of the operation all relies on the chilled bowl. It seems to me it would work more efficiently (and not fail because of the mixture not being very cold to start with) if the chilling part of it was powered?
    Does anyone have any recommendations for a new one, because this one's going back to the shop as not fit for purpose - it says 20 mins on the box!!

3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

The ones that that actually chill the mix are a lot more expensive.
    I have one where you freeze the bowl. I find it best to put the mixture in the fridge to make sure it is cold before churning. It does then work but it isn't ready to go into the freezer until it is really thick. It sounds as if your ice cream maker didn't do anything at all if your ice cream came out icy and hard.
    It always comes out harder than shop bought ice cream and needs 20 mins to stand after coming out of the freezer but it shouldn't be icy.
    I would love a proper one but this one was given to me (my sister had 2 as wedding presents) and it's ok for free.

4. a freeze the bowl one you can get for £60ish but the chill ones start in excess of £200. I've only used the freeze the bowl one, and never had any problems with it, as bombaysapphire says, you don't get shop bought ice cream out of it, but it's v good.would it be worth having another go before you take it back?If you keep the bowl in the freezer, it will be a 20 min job [​IMG]

5. henriette

henriette New commenter

I had the bowl-in-the-freezer sort for many years, but o/h splashed out and got me a "real" one for my birthday a couple of years ago: it cost over £200 and takes up a lot of space on the worktop, but I love it!

6. I have a bowl-in-the-freezer ice cream maker and I just keep mine in the freezer all the time. You do have to be organised though and make the custard well in advance to chill.

7. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Have replied on Personal but basically said go for the big one that freezes itself. The bowl-freeze ones are ok-ish, but not a patch on the other ones. Useful tip is to make the mixture the day before and leave it to chill overnight in the fridge.

8. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

I had a freeze the bowl one and gave up with it, never got actual ice cream from it just milkshake as said above.

9. lucyrose50

lucyrose50 Occasional commenter

I was given a freeze the bowl one last year and after much experimentation, the best method seems to be to make the mix and then put it in a tub in the freezer at least until it's starting to freeze around the edges. Then put it in the icecream maker and it should turn into proper icecream that stays reasonably soft (I usually have to take it out of the freezer for 5 minutes or so beforeI scoop it). Another tip for stopping it from freezing too hard is to put a bit of alcohol in it as this prevents it from freezing solid. I have a bottle of extremely cheap vodka for this purpose (believe me, you wouldn't want to drink it, it's nasty stuff!) as this doesn't change the flavour, but I've done some interesting things with other alcohols as well. You don't have to put loads in, just a quick glug - I've never measured it so I can't give you a more specific quantity!

10. Thanks, all, for the advice. I think the combination of having to let the thing live in the freezer all the time and not being able to make ice cream spontaneously whenever we want (i.e. having to chill the mixture overnight) is going to be a dealbreaker, so the birthday one will go back asap and we'll pay the extra £200 for one that genuinely does give you ice cream in 20 minutes (as the Magimix Le Glacier promises), not milkshake in an hour and a half!!