1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ice cream maker advice, anyone?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by rustybug, Dec 23, 2011.

1. My husband asked for one of these for his birthday last week. His sister got him the Magimix Le Glacier 1.5, but we have been disappointed with it. It advertises that it will make ice cream in 20 mins, but this means 20 mins churning, once you have frozen the bowl for 12 hours and also chilled the mixture (from boiling point). We chilled our mixture till it was at about room temp, and after an hour of churning it still wasn't getting thick, it was more like milkshake than ice cream.
    We slurped at it for a bit, then put the rest in the freezer - now it's quite icecreamish but really like ice cream that has been defrosted, not smooth but icy and hard.
    I was surprised to see that the electric part of it is just the paddle, the actual freezing part of the operation all relies on the chilled bowl. It seems to me it would work more efficiently (and not fail because of the mixture not being very cold to start with) if the chilling part of it was powered?
    Does anyone have any recommendations for a new one, because this one's going back to the shop as not fit for purpose - it says 20 mins on the box!!

2. My husband asked for one of these for his birthday last week. His sister got him the Magimix Le Glacier 1.5, but we have been disappointed with it. It advertises that it will make ice cream in 20 mins, but this means 20 mins churning, once you have frozen the bowl for 12 hours and also chilled the mixture (from boiling point). We chilled our mixture till it was at about room temp, and after an hour of churning it still wasn't getting thick, it was more like milkshake than ice cream.
    We slurped at it for a bit, then put the rest in the freezer - now it's quite icecreamish but really like ice cream that has been defrosted, not smooth but icy and hard.
    I was surprised to see that the electric part of it is just the paddle, the actual freezing part of the operation all relies on the chilled bowl. It seems to me it would work more efficiently (and not fail because of the mixture not being very cold to start with) if the chilling part of it was powered?
    Does anyone have any recommendations for a new one, because this one's going back to the shop as not fit for purpose - it says 20 mins on the box!!

3. Just realised I should probably have put this on Cooking. Will put it there too!!

4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Magimix Gelatier.....the one that freezes itself. Expensive but worth it. Again, chill everything down but you will get a soft ice cream. For a firmer ice cream put in the freezer for a couple of hours after churning. I find this works best. The ones with separate freezer bowls are not as good.