1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ice activity

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by helenfw, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Has anyone got any great ideas for a lesson with ice - science based. Got an observation coming up and really need a good lessons.
    Thanks

2. Has anyone got any great ideas for a lesson with ice - science based. Got an observation coming up and really need a good lessons.
    Thanks

3. we filled up rubber gloves with coloured water and froze them to get ice hands - the children were amazed when we took them out of the freezer! then we unwrapped some, and left some in the rubber glove so that the children could see what happens when they melt. don't know if that helps x

4. Do you have digi-blue cameras in school? If you have an ice hand as already described, use the camera to take still shots during the day. Then you can play the pictures in animation, showing the hand melting bit by bit. It allows good discussion about which parts of the hand melt first and why.

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We did the rubber glove thing but told the children Jack Frost had left his hand behind and how could we stop it from melting before he returned?

Also froze a Teddy Bear and asked the children for suggestions of how to warm him up.

6. We left ice in different parts of the classroom to see what happened. I also brought lollies for them and told them that the freezer was broken, but I needed to stop them melting until after break when they could eat them. What should we do?
    I also put out ice cubes and ramps and the children tried sliding them down different ramps to see what would happen.

7. Poppychick

Poppychick New commenter

Our Reception class built igloos with ice cubes and salt!

8. Thanks they are some good ideas. It all has to fit into one lesson though as its a observation.

The weeks focus is north and south pole and animals that live there. Any ideas how to link it with thaT?

9. Rendellers

Rendellers New commenter

10. We did the ice hands last week which the children loved. Week before, we had 3 ice blocks - "icebergs!" - with penguins frozen inside. The children had to get the penguins out by home time, and had to think of places which would be good for melting the ice. Also, inside the ice were magnetic letters spelling out a message. We kept checking the icebergs throughout the day, with the children seeing if their predictions were right. Once the ice had melted enough, they were able to read the message off the penguin - "Help me!"

11. I have filled balloons and frozen them with mini-beasts inside. Children (nursery) watched them melt and suggested ways to retrive the animals. We also added drops of food colouring and watched the change of colour spread and cause wonderful patterns/shapes) and sprinkled salt on some and not on others predicting the outcomes.
    There are some great ideas on this thread.

12. ice mountain
    Heap lots of ice/ice cubes in middle of tuff spot to make a mountain I usually sprinkle cornflour around it for effect and glitter on top then when the children are present tell them you are going to make a magic ice mountain then pour blue food colouring over the top follwed by yellow what happens as it runs down the mountain? Ours like playing with it with the polar bears etc

13. Thanks - loads of great ideas!

Just a couple of questions - the ice gloves - I have tried this before but the fingers always snap off when i remove the glove - any tips to stop this happening?

How do you get the bugs into the balloons?

Also do you do these activities as adult led, as this is what I have to do, any tips on how to make them more adult led?

Thanks again- the ideas are a great help!

14. we have done an activity wher i put animals (small ones) into ice cube trays! I wrapped them up in silver foil and then paper and got ch to discuss what might be in them how they felt etc... as we were discussing it i then said "what is that can you hear? some one just asked for help!!" We then opened our parcels and discovered our frozen animals!!! We had to work out how we could get them out quickly!!

15. sorry for spelling mistakes!!

16. I HAVE USED THE DISPOSABLE GLOVES RATHER THAN THE RUBBER ONES IT IS EASIER TO PEEL OFF

17. I placed the bugs into the balloon before sealing it up. Freezes inside very well.

18. SqMandes

SqMandes New commenter

I've also put bugs in water in small tupperware boxes or yoghurt pots and then put them in the freezer.

You could make the focus "exploring the senses" and "observing materials as they change".

Turn the lights out and give them torches. They can also see their reflection in the water as the ice melts into the tuff spot (can they work out where the water is coming from?).

Give them some salt and ask them to sprinkle it on the ice. Can then listen carefully to hear it crackle? etc. The ice then turns really bumpy and "cavernous" and the torches work really well through the ice tunnels made by the salt. You can also talk about how the ice is bumpy on top but smooth on the bottom.

I did this as an observation lesson in Nursery last year and it worked very well. It works particularly well if it is adult-led as you can extend their exploration and get them to come out with some good describing words for what they see and hear.

A nice idea I borrowed was to wrap the ice balloons up in wrapping paper first so that the children throught they were presents. When they picked them up they had to guess what was inside - just by feeling the paper - which of course was very cold.

Without an adult it can turn into a game of ice bashing with no real focus.

Good luck

19. Msz

Msz Established commenter

If you use disposable gloves you can cut them off without damaging the fingers.

20. Sorry not been online for a while. Thanks for the great ideas. I like the ice mountain idea but not sure if i will go for it - does the food colouring go everywhere?

Think I might go with freezing animals in ice and asking children how to get them out - would you just go with their ideas, or give them suggestions to choose from?