1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

IBS.... :(

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by geniegirl, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Eurgh - how I hate IBS!
    I seemed to have got rid of it over the last 12 months or so. Used to be doubled up with stomach cramps most days, upset stomach followed by constipation etc etc....
    Went to see a dietician (after seeing my doctor 50 million times, who didn't seem to know what to do). She was amazing and put me on a very strict diet to see what wasn't helping. I then had to introdue 1 food each week and hey presto, I can now eat most things again, and have forgotten the main list of foods that I avoid!
    But now, over the last few weeks, I keep getting a really bloated stomach. I don't feel *that* stressed, just the usual, and last week it looked like I was pregnant with twins ( I definitely am not, by the way!). Cramps aren't as bad as they used to be, but have had a few recently.
    Any top tips on what to do to solve the bloating? Haven't introduced any new foods that I can think of and am trying to exercise - although don't want to when looking like I do at the minute!

2. Eurgh - how I hate IBS!
    I seemed to have got rid of it over the last 12 months or so. Used to be doubled up with stomach cramps most days, upset stomach followed by constipation etc etc....
    Went to see a dietician (after seeing my doctor 50 million times, who didn't seem to know what to do). She was amazing and put me on a very strict diet to see what wasn't helping. I then had to introdue 1 food each week and hey presto, I can now eat most things again, and have forgotten the main list of foods that I avoid!
    But now, over the last few weeks, I keep getting a really bloated stomach. I don't feel *that* stressed, just the usual, and last week it looked like I was pregnant with twins ( I definitely am not, by the way!). Cramps aren't as bad as they used to be, but have had a few recently.
    Any top tips on what to do to solve the bloating? Haven't introduced any new foods that I can think of and am trying to exercise - although don't want to when looking like I do at the minute!

3. I stopped eating carbs in a bid to lose weight and the NEXT DAY my IBS symptoms stopped. I am a changed person and a whole lot less stressed. I will gradually reintroduce foods but suspect that wheat was the root of my problems all the long. Peppermint tea can help with bloating by the way.

4. Tigger1962

Tigger1962 New commenter

I would second this

I suffered IBS for many years - but last year someone mentioned to me a possible link between gluten and IBS - I was sceptical as I had been tested for coeliac and the tests were negative - however i decided to give it a go for a month and found that my symptoms all but disappeared- However the times I have cracked and eaten gluten (birthday cake/pizzatc) the symtoms have returned within 24 hours

5. I still have to avoid certain foods to control my IBS - mainly anything fibrous, plus bananas and caffeine. I also have colonics - regularly when it's playing up, not so regular when it's not. And also I have some tablets called Co-ton which help.

6. y4me

y4me New commenter

Haven't got any useful advice, but I do sympathise hugely, Genie!

I suffer from IBS and between January and September last year, I was in almost constant pain and discomfort and couldn't eat a thing without my symptoms being made worse!

As if by magic, I began to feel better from about the middle of September and haven't had much of a recurrence since!

Hopefully your symptoms will subside soon!

7. I found going on a low fibre diet helped my symptoms, I eat white bread, rice etc which totally goes against what people associate with a healthy diet but it works for me. I also find if I eat onions, garlic, leeks and other fruit and veg it really sets me off so maybe going on a bland diet for a few days may give your tummy a chance to settle again. Hope things ease!

8. Pandora Peroxide

Pandora Peroxide New commenter

Reduced consumption of white bread and similar things like pizza, eating lactose free cheese and yoghurt and a daily probiotic yoghurt have helped me a lot as has stopping any pre-prepared foods. If I eat a ready meal or miss my probiotic for a couple of days I am rewarded with bloating and cramps. Unfortunately a nasty dose of noro-virus has set me back and last week I had my first really nasty IBS incident in about 6 months. My IBS presents as chronic cramps, constipation followed by an early hours wake-up call of spasms in my stomach followed by diarrhoea.

9. I agree with you there! I've been to see a dietician today (for an unrelated issue) and I explained I had IBS and that wholemal bread/pasta etc is something I avoided and she immediately said that these would be too fibrous for me. I also have to be careful with fruit! Can't eat too much of it.