1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

IBDP

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by spanboy, Jul 31, 2020 at 2:26 AM.

1. spanboy

spanboy Occasional commenter

Hi all

I posted this on the IB forum, but no replies, so I thought I would try it here to see if anyone could help:

I'm a new DPC and was wondering if anyone knows if (and where) there is a single document that lists all the components of ALL courses that need to be submitted for assessment? PRC?

We are just into candidacy and due to begin first DP teaching in August 2022. During the next two years I want to create a 'dummy-run' assessment calendar as practice for myself, and don't want to miss anything off it, hence needing some kind of checklist for all subjects.

I've looked on PRC but can't find this there. I'm sure it will be somewhere and I'm just not seeing it. If anyone could share the PRC link with me (or other) that would be great.

If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful. TIA.

2. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

The best thing to do is find out about other DP schools in your country and see if they have a network that you can join.

You have a couple of resources: the IB themselves, who are responsive to requests and calls for advice, other IB coordinators (who, in my experience, are extremely helpful as a group) and other experienced IB teachers.

I presume you are an experienced IB teacher, so you should have an idea of some of the requirements. If not, start chatting to the IB and get up to speed.

Read through the literature and you'll be fine.

Good luck.

3. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

When I got my first job as a DP Coordinator the Vade Mecum (or The Handbook of Procedures for Diploma Coordinators) was the bible for all DP Coordinators but it is no longer produced as a hard copy in a folder. It is only available as a download.

There is also the Diploma Programme Assessment Procedures which is also downloadable from the IBO website.

If you are an experienced DP teacher or HoD who has been recently promoted to the heady heights of DP Coordinator I am surprised you don't know all of this already?

Ah, but then I read this - We are just into candidacy - so perhaps you are new to the DP? Which then begs the question why would a school make someone so inexperienced their DP Coordinator?

puggerchris likes this.
  4. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Does it matter? He or she has the position and needs support. It is not our school, so we don't have to deal with the fallout. Sometimes, schools just take who they can or the individual shows promise and initiative.

5. SecondPlace

SecondPlace Occasional commenter

Contact the IB.

As a candidate school you should have a consultant - ask them.

Reach out to other DP Coordinators in your city/area/country/region - there will be a group and they will be helpful.

Download and read everything from My IB.

Good luck.

6. 4019775

4019775 New commenter

"Which then begs the question why would a school make someone so inexperienced their DP Coordinator?"

Typical **** from makhnovite

Why don't you do the board a favour and do one like your mate Dumbells.

spanboy likes this.
  7. spanboy

Yes I am experienced with 8 years in DP as a HoD and CASC - but not as a DPC. I looked through the DP resources on MyIB and found info on deadlines etc but couldn't find this info, hence why I was asking.

8. spanboy

Thanks - yes, I am just starting to get to grips with the vast amount of reading I need to do! Would like to try and find things out myself before asking our consultant. Thanks for your help.

9. spanboy

Thanks @Karvol . I am experienced in IB as a HoD and CASC and been through 2 authorizations, and have now downloaded and printed off all relevant DP docs for me to wade through. I've been in the job a couple of months only and until now have not had the time to get to grips with the vast amount of reading I need to do, so I would have come across it soon - just wanted help in pointing out where exactly to find it amidst the mountain of info.

10. spanboy

Found it now.

11. makhnovite

'your mate Dumbells'

How dare you, we are not mates, we just very occasionally agree that some people on this forum are not worth listening to. :p

SPC2 likes this.
  12. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

Yeah I was thinking "esteemed colleagues" would be more like it.

13. spanboy

14. spanboy

Well, after much reading and asking the IB, it turns out what I was looking for doesn't actually exist...not as a single document anyway, and not without looking at each subject guide individually.

As an experienced DP Coordinator, 'I'm surprised you don't know...this already' @makhnovite? ;)...oh...and The Handbook of Procedures for Diploma Coordinators no longer exists, apparently!

15. makhnovite

'As an experienced DP Coordinator, 'I'm surprised you don't know...this already' @makhnovite? ;)'

But it was a while ago spanner, as my reference to the Vade Mecum would/should have made clear, since then I have gone on to other management roles. :D