1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

IBD French

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by sunflower, Dec 12, 2009.

1. When I taught IB French B, we used a couple of A Level books and pretty much wrote our SoW around the A Level topics. For writing tasks, we wrote our own essay titles and incorporated those into our teaching. I also used past IB papers and made a list of essay titles, and we practised reading questions from there too. I found that there was more flexibility and freedom teaching the IB and I loved it. Your new school will send you on an IB course as you start teaching it, or at the end of your first year of teaching. I got my (then) job without any IB experience. I was told that as long as I could teach A Level (which I was already doing), then IB wouldn't be a problem.

2. I teach French in IB School... I teach in PYP, MYP and DP... in DP French is taught as language A1 / A2 / B and ab inition...

You can refer the book Elan -1 / Elan-2 and for ab inition you can use envole or tricolor-1/2... which I found good...

3. The IB have just produced a book for French and Spanish B (sadly, not German) which is tailored to the new IB curriculum. It's called IB French/Spanish course companion.

It is quite well laid out, with interesting activities, but unfortunately a lot of the articles they present would make me die of boredom before even reading them, so I complement it by worksheets I create myself/songs/videos/films, etc. However, I like the fact that the book links French/Spanish to CAS and TOK and has some great differentiated activities for higher and foundation.

I really recommend it!