1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

IB

Discussion in 'English' started by Carnhot, Mar 2, 2011.

1. My boss wants me to find out about how the IB impacts on English teaching. Does anyone have any experience they could share with me? Thanks.

2. My boss wants me to find out about how the IB impacts on English teaching. Does anyone have any experience they could share with me? Thanks.

3. Having researched the IB some time ago- it is broader than GCSE and A levels and more all encompassing- develops students' independence more and covers world literature more... but can't offer any more guidance than this- as my research was some time ago and the school did not opt for it in the end. I hope someone can offer you more help...

4. englishtt06

englishtt06 Occasional commenter

I did some research into this a couple of years ago when looking into international teaching.

A good overview of how the IB hangs together is here: http://www.dresden-is.de/secondary-school/curriculum/diploma-program/

English is taught as either Language A or B (think major or minor) depending on the pupils' natural ability (i.e. mother tongue).
    For an example of an English syllabus (texts, assessments etc.), open the Assessment DP PDF link on here and check out pages 28-33 for the English units: http://www.dresden-is.de/secondary-school/curriculum/assessment/

It has to be done as a whole-school approach rather than just one subject/dept.

My advice would be to post on the Teaching Overseas forum on here to find out more. The international school I am in teaches GCSE/A Level.
    If your HoD is interested in the IGCSE it is offered by Cambridge and I would go for it if my dept. was willing! (for my two-penneth worth...)

5. It's definitely requires a more independent approach from students and is less teacher-intensive than AS or A2. For example, I get one lesson a week to teach a novel, and the expectation is that my lesson might only pick out a small area of a chapter and focus on it in detail, before moving onto the next chapter. Huge chunks get left uncovered and the students are expected to read, annotate and research around all of those non-teacher led parts. There is also a brilliant extended essay part, and if the students choose to do an English focused one, they choose their own books and question, with only a little guidance/approval from an essay supervisor.