1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

IB training

Discussion in 'International Baccalaureate' started by mandyliedke, May 11, 2020.

1. mandyliedke

mandyliedke New commenter

Hello!
    I am an art teacher and very interested in the IB and its approach to learning. My question is; where can I get IB training? I saw that a lot of international schools are looking for art teachers with IB training. I am experienced with the IPC and English National Curriculum. I appreciate your help. Mandy

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

3. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

@mandyliedke With your IPC experience, you will transition into the IB fairly easily. The IPC's learner outcomes and scope and sequences per phase is are far better than what the IB has in its very vague 'framework'.

It was in October 2018, that the brains of the PYP committee decided to release its "publications" that IT should be taught not just be treated as a tool. Funny that... in the world of technological age that started in 1993.

Keep all of your resources and login ins from IPC. It will help you. Best of luck to you.

4. mandyliedke

mandyliedke New commenter

Thank you. I am applying to new schools most of them like teachers to have IB training or experience. I am an art teacher. Is it worth doing an IB training for visual art on my own? It is 450 Dollars after all. I would appreciate your advice. I always thought that the IPC and IB are very similar in their approach.

5. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

@mandyliedke many schools ask for IB training for two reasons,
    1) so that the teacher can just slot in
    2) well.... save money, they don't need to send you all over the world to do your 'Making the PYP Happen' category 1 course.

Whether you want to do it is up to you but there are plenty of IB schools out there who employ teachers without any IB training. I didn't have any IB experience but did land a very good school with a generous PD program. Now have completed all three (primary, secondary & diploma/A-level equiv) IB teaching and learning certificates.

If you are going to do a course, do the one that is specific to your subject. Ignore the 'Making the PYP Happen' it is absolutely useless and so airy fairy. Furthermore, with your IPC experience.... Trust me, you are well ahead of any PYP Coordinator you'll find in the international circuit, not including Australia. There's light and day differences between Aussie coordinators and those in the international circuit. Others may advice you that you "have to do a category 1 first". Ignore that, you will be a private paying customer and they will happily enroll and take your money. Before Covid hit I was in an IB PD, I met 20 teachers who paid their own way into a category 3 (highest) courses to try and land an IB job.

When you do a subject specific one, you will not only get answers specific to your question but the knowledge and networking you'll get in the room is nothing short of valuable.

$450 is not a bad investment if you land a salary. Good luck.

6. percy topliss

percy topliss Established commenter

Well this is certainly one of the most arrogant things that I have read here for a while. Not a lot else to say but if you read this ones posts in other places you may begin to get some idea as to why.

Have a lovely weekend.

Perce