1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

IB Training

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Newstein, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Newstein

Newstein New commenter

Hi all,

I retired early to travel and am applying for Physics jobs overseas. Many of these schools require IB training which I don't have.

How can I get trained without teaching at a school?

I don't mind the cost, but I don't know where to start.

Thanks for all your advice.

2. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

I wouldn't worry about. As long as you have a degree in the subject, experience and are willing to go to an ok school for a couple of years to get recent experience, you'll be fine.

Once you have the experience, then apply to an IB school and they'll fund your training. If you leave it till May, you will probably be able to get into an IB school without any training, as schools are desperate at that stage.

3. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

Especially for decent physics teachers!

4. february31st

february31st Established commenter

IB is just a glorified pyramid selling scam. There is no need to attend any IB training to teach the syllabus, if you can read the provided curriculum material.

But I have enjoyed the long weekend shopping trips to SG/HK I have been forced to take when teaching at an IB schools.

If you are an A Level Physics teacher no schoolvis going to turn down your application due to no previous IB experience.

mikemcdonald25 likes this.
  5. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Perhaps if you had put even a tiny bit of effort in Feb31st, and learnt something, then perhaps you wouldnt be constantly moaning about being in low level schools, and how terrible rent a name schools are. ;););)

@Newstein start applying for jobs now. You are a physics teacher do you wont find it hard and you will have your pick of locations. As an IB school they have to provide training for you.

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  6. agbak

agbak New commenter

I recently completed mine on-line 2 weeks ago
    Google search IB courses and ask for training information

7. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

If you are a Physics teacher, then why are you wasting your time writing on a TES forum? You are far above mere mortals like the rest of us poor teachers. Nope, if you have done A level Physics teaching, then IB ain't going to be anything too hard.

This old hippo has spent nearly all of his teaching career in English-curriculum schools, but any young(ish) teacher these days should want to get PYP / MYP / IB training.

8. swsimp160

swsimp160 Occasional commenter

I did find the level two training my school paid for, including all travel, hotel and meals, useful for two reasons: Help with the maths IA and being in a room with other IB maths teachers talking about resources and what works/does not work for them. Not much help other than that and I would not work for a school who does not foot the bill for you to be trained. Don't know about physics but there are big differences with course content between HL IB Maths and Advanced Higher here in Scotland. Far more probability in HL for example. I have also taught A level and found HL IB maths to be much more rigorous and demanding. I think calculus is not needed for HL physics but may be wrong. Personally, I loved teaching the IB but everyone to their own. But seriously you are physics (I am maths chemistry) why are you even considering paying for your won training? That is for lessor beings like English and History teachers not for the likes of us?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  9. swsimp160

While I respect the comments of the hippo greatly, certainly in HL Maths, the level of difficulty in the questions asked is regularly of the scale and more in common with AEA or even, at times, MAT questions and many would give a final year maths student/graduate pause for thought. Of course, if you are wanting a 4 then this is not really a problem as you can pick up enough marks from section A and some long answer questions in both papers but 6/7, with a 7 at 88% plus, is very hard for many to achieve. You really need to have a spark/genuinely gifted to get a 7 at HL IB Maths way beyond, in my opinion, what is needed in further maths or mechanics.

Explaining to Asian parents why their son/daughter cannot simply work/rote learn their way to an HL 7 was always interesting. I have taught everything from AP calculus in Canada to Advanced Higher in Scotland , A level and further in England and HL IB. There are no maths teachers I have met who don't consider HL the High School gold standard in Maths. But then again I am an IB fan boy and to teach an entire class (20 kids) of IB 40+ kids with two 45's was the most enjoyable experience of my career to date.

Not to say other HL subjects are not equivalent to A level of course but would be surprised if HL physics not the same.

percy topliss likes this.
  10. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Do you practice being offensive or is it a natural gift?

lottee1000 likes this.
  11. february31st

february31st Established commenter

The science and maths departments of IB schools are very overwhelmed with the workload that is placed on them.

If the IB Diploma/Certificate part of the school has 200 students split between 1st and 2nd years ever student has to do science and maths.(orher subjects are also included in this, English, Foreign language)

This breaks down into a minimum 8 sets of 25 student x 4hr/week. Then throw in the mix of students doing 2 science's to calculate the number of teachers required for the department? I suggest you try marking 25HL Physics papers that are often given for homework or classroom tasks to check how long your marking commitment will be.

A greart number of IB schools also undertake IGCSE to complement the MYP. So you could be adding IGCSE workload.

12. amysdad

amysdad Occasional commenter

It's why I can't wait to become a HT and start moving resources to Humanities departments!

HL History is certainly at the same level as first year University - there certainly are facts to be learnt, but the evaluation and discussion parts of it are significantly higher than that of Scottish Highers or even Advanced Higher. I'd also argue that marking History (and other Humanities subjects) takes significantly longer per paper than Maths or Science - imagine having 20 different papers with 20 different answers, every single one of them correct - that's what we have to face.

Back to the training though - what others point out is that it's not necessarily the training but the experience of teaching it which counts. Most schools will ship you through the training course themselves, but you do need the experience of being in front of the class. Unfortunately it creates the never-ending circle of "you don't have IB experience so you can't have the job" - "but if I don't have the job how do I get the experience?"!

13. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

swsimp160, I am not a Physics teacher, but have had friends who were and that is what they told me. It was a few years ago, so maybe I am out of date (as usual).

14. swsimp160

You may well be right Hippo. Physics was always on the difficult side for me and gave it a wide berth. I have heard there is no calculus in HL physics which is a bit like English without reading novels.

15. swsimp160

It comes naturally. The good lord made me sarcastic and opinionated. But I consider that comment no more than every day banter on this forum or in any staffroom. Are you Canadian by chance?

16. willow78

willow78 Occasional commenter

I found my last IB training (2011) very useful, I did the face to face training, at the time I was the only one who taught the subject at IB level, so it gave me the chance to make contacts etc. I'm going on the next level in March next year and I looking forward to it, once again I'm the only teacher who teaches in at IB level (Hopefully this will chance with recruitment this year), so will give me the chance to make some contacts.

17. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

'lessor beings' (swsimp160)

Presumably refers to property tycoons like Perce?

rouxx likes this.
  18. mikemcdonald25

mikemcdonald25 Occasional commenter

Once again I find myself in agreement with The Febster! IB training is unnecessary if you read the curriculum documentation as it always been.

Yes, it is always nice to meet other teachers of your subject and swap ideas and resources but it is not necessary and for the IB to suggest that it is essential, even compulsory, is disingenuous.

Especially as the quality of that training (the subject workshops) is of a very mixed quality. The procedure for becoming a workshop leader is far from rigorous. Isn't the dumbbell a member of that not very select group?

19. moscowbore

moscowbore Established commenter

Is it not a condition of the IBO that all teachers attend the training?

I did my training in Beijing over a long week-end. The training was long days but not terribly useful. It was handy to meet others delivering the same courses. And the Shaolin monk kung fu show at night was spectacular.

JL48 likes this.
  20. swsimp160

Good luck getting Chemistry/Physics/Maths teachers to your school with that approach. They can all study humanities at your school and, once they have their History degrees, get whatever the equivalent 'career' is these day to working in the Virgin Mega store as that is about the level of employment humanities graduates can hope for. Don't go trying to attract Asian kids to your super funded humanities school either. I always tell my kids proper there are two types of 45: Proper IB 45's are those with HL Maths, Chemistry, Physics and the rest are Mickey Mouse. Most employers seem to agree.