1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

IB May 2020 Exams are cancelled.

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Karvol, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Just in case your school hasn't got around to checking emails as yet.

2. justinhockey24

justinhockey24 New commenter

Source?

3. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Email to all examiners direct from the IB. We are awaiting email to the school itself.

Here is an excerpt:

upload_2020-3-22_15-23-59.png

justinhockey24 likes this.
  4. Mickyd197se

Mickyd197se Occasional commenter

5. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Strange. The only emails I had from the IB today were clearly marked “confidential”.

yasf likes this.
  6. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

Apparently, the ones sent to DP Coordinators were marked "confidential" but not the ones sent to examiners... Bit od a **** up there.
    I would like the IBO to start now thinking about the possibility of shifting NEXT YEAR'S exams from May to June to give us the chance to catch up a bit!

7. gulfgolf

Heads of School also confidential.

8. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

Why would that be confidential? Surely the next thing a HT would do is tell students and parents.
    Then tell teachers after G&T at sundown.

9. moscowbore

Is this a wind up?

10. gulfgolf

Because the IB hasn't finished deciding all the details.

11. moscowbore

I can confirm that this is most definitely NOT a wind up.

12. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

Not really. The letter to send to parents & students is virtually identical to that sent to examiners. No changes.

13. lottee1000

lottee1000 Occasional commenter

CIE a levels and IGCSEs are also cancelled. No letters seen yet, but website is updated.

14. moscowbore

Now begins the less than subtle pressure on teachers to award inflated grades. I have already had emails from students.

15. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

Luckily within the IB there are lots of work to check such as EE, IAs,TOK Presentation and essay scores etc so one shouldn't be surprised that a student who has scored 4's across the board ends up with a 4, not a 7! I should imagine that most DP Coordinators have already uploaded their confidential predicted Grades to the IBO. I have been away from the A-Level for a while but haven't they got rid of AS Levels? Do they do coursework or will scores be based upon teachers best guess?

Not being rude, just interested.

Perce

16. lottee1000

lottee1000 Occasional commenter

It's going to be a mess with A Levels, even more so in internationals schools.
    British A Levels no longer have AS at all, or coursework except in practical subjects, so it will be completely internally assessed. In many places, coursework is not finished, as the deadlines haven't passed yet, and many schools do coursework last as it leads into the exam and takes a while for skills to develop. In many places, it's now impossible for students to finish coursework in subjects like DT or Art, if they're not allowed into school facilities.
    International A Levels (Edexcel and CIE) still have coursework in some subjects and AS levels in all of them, and some may have done units in January. However, as modular resits are common, teacher predictions will be based on different things for different students. I already have students saying 'oh but i was going to resit AS as well this summer so my grade would have been higher...' And it's true, they're not trying it on, but it' another unknown to try and predict.

Adding to that is the fact that many schools do a combination, so we have kids who will have a grade from AQA based on coursework and teacher feedback, CIE based purely on teacher feedback, and Edexcel which are, theoretically, no-one-believes-it-for-a-second-but-they-haven't-announced-yet, going ahead with exams.

'Best guess' is probably a very apt phrase right now.

17. moscowbore

There is still no official decision from IB or CIE how they are going to come up with a grade.

Perce, I am surprised by your statement about uploading predicted grades. I am not aware that has happened in my school. We have been asked to do a final report for y13 which includes a current grade and an aspirational grade. I do not know what management do with that.

Friends in England have told me that they have been given a list of their A level students and asked for a grade. Not sure how that grade will be used.

18. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

The IB call for predicted grades every year. They can be used as a check for the veracity of exam results, say a kid is predicted a 3 but gets a 7 they may want to look at his papers or if something happens like an illness or accident where these grades might be used in lieu of an untaken exam. Nothing sinister. If you are an IB school MB I am sure it will have been done or be in the process of being done.

Perce

19. moscowbore

Thanks for the explanation. I was not aware that this process existed.

percy topliss likes this.
  20. moscowbore

We have been informed that we are submitting the IA marks and full justification for those marks to the IB next week. We, the teachers, have already created the final reports for y13 which contains a predicted grade.
    The IB have said that all IAs are to be marked externally. So what is the point of the IAs to be marked by the teacher?