1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

IB Maths SL & HL

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by SMT dude, Apr 8, 2011.

1. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

S/he's absolutely right. And if there are any schools doing this, I'd be interested to see their results.
    It works (though still not ideal) in some other subjects where the additional material for HL can be viewed as a bolt-on 'extension', but Maths HL and SL are different animals, and if you attempt to cross-breed them you will produce an abortion.

2. ian60

ian60 New commenter

Just to concur with the other posters. You would be putting your HL students at a severe disadvantage by denying them the exposure to a full on HL curriculum delivery. The HL is not just the SL with some other bits added on.

3. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

As all have mentioned, what you are up against is a difference in both approach and philosophy between HL and SL.
    Just out of curiousity, your school wouldn't be located in Malaysia would it?

4. Occassionally, there's more than one poster comes from Malaysia... (that's not bad English - I typed in a Cornish accent..)...
    [​IMG]

5. Principal-Skinner

Principal-Skinner Occasional commenter

I'm currently in Springfield, USA.
    Me bad English is just coindiental and shouldn't be confued with others who also have bad English problems.

6. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Well all the best for the "new" job in Springfield.
    I hope a "Mr Burns" didn't cast an eye of displeasure at the musings of the other chap with a bad case of the Mancunian blues... ( or would that be reds? )

7. Not at all Karvol. Other chap will be back - he had loads to say.

8. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Curse them and rot them. May they break out in boils and blisters. May their balls turn to bicycle wheels and back-pedal up their urse.
    I'm not talking about my many cuddly leftward-leaning friends, just invoking a biblical visitation of brimstone and locusts and poison toads on postcode M16 0RA.
    Skinner, what has been the decision over at Abraham Lincoln International Academy? Has your Math (s) teacher managed to persuade the powers that be to run two classes? Did this forum for once do a good deed in this naughty world?

9. Principal-Skinner

Principal-Skinner Occasional commenter

Ms Albright will continue to teach SL & HL separately. I had some short term timetabling issues which could have been solved by combining the two but the other options will now be considered.
    I can also confidently say that whilst other teams have fallen by the wayside, the one with the M16 postcode, Springfield United, is the only team still up for a treble celebration in the comings months. No plagues of locusts or reptiles will deter us from our mission; we remain united for one and for all.