1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

IB Languages B mark conversions?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by zrcadlo, Feb 7, 2012.

1. zrcadlo

zrcadlo New commenter

Hello all
    I posted this also in MFL forum but thought there might be more IB teachers available on here.
    I am looking for info about working out IB German B marks. I wonder if anyone could help? What I want to know is if, say, a student scores 15/25 (or whatever) on a Paper 2 and something else on a Paper 1, to roughly what grade (1-7) would this be equivalent?
    I have searched and can't find anything, nobody else in my department seems to know (we have one dubious old piece of paper that states you need 93% for a 7!) and I even asked when I went on an IBO course last summer and the convenor didn't know either!
    Any help, or rough approximations, gratefully received!
    Thank you

2. zrcadlo

zrcadlo New commenter

Hello all
    I posted this also in MFL forum but thought there might be more IB teachers available on here.
    I am looking for info about working out IB German B marks. I wonder if anyone could help? What I want to know is if, say, a student scores 15/25 (or whatever) on a Paper 2 and something else on a Paper 1, to roughly what grade (1-7) would this be equivalent?
    I have searched and can't find anything, nobody else in my department seems to know (we have one dubious old piece of paper that states you need 93% for a 7!) and I even asked when I went on an IBO course last summer and the convenor didn't know either!
    Any help, or rough approximations, gratefully received!
    Thank you

3. momentofclarity

momentofclarity New commenter

I am sure you have looked into it already, but the OCC will likely have up to date grade boundaries. If not the Lang B forum on there would be a good next step.

MoC

4. silverfern

silverfern New commenter

Yes, the OCC will have them. You need to look in the 'Subject Reports', which have the boundary for each course component as well as the whole course grade boundaries.

5. silverfern

silverfern New commenter

More like 85% for a 7.

6. zrcadlo

zrcadlo New commenter

Thank you for the very useful replies. I have now found the information I needed.
    The reason I couldn't find it before is so stupid - I went on to 'other languages B' on the OCC and spent a whole year being astonished by the lack of info there - not realising you could scroll down. How embarrassing!
    But thank you again for your help.

7. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

There is no strict boundary. Each year, at the grades award meetings, the boundaries are set after the exams have been marked. You need to look, as has been mentioned, at the subject reports to get the exact breakdown for any paper.