1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

IB is IB

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Wet Towel, Jul 3, 2011.

1. I've had to re-post this as it was deleted for some bizarre unknown reason:

I've just accepted a job, poorly paid, 11-month contract but it gives me valuable IB experience. After 2 years I should be able to unlock the top tier schools, right? IB experience is IB experience.. within reason.

2. ceviche

ceviche New commenter

It's not a video game - you don't "unlock" the next level. Sure, your CV will have that IB mark on it and you'll be that little bit more desirable. That is, as long as you can spell on your CV, you get good references and you don't come across badly in an interview. The IB experience, as you'll have seen in most ads, is not obligatory for most teaching roles, but an "advantage". So it's not what's going to be the determining factor.
    Not sure how the 11-month stint will look though. Some might view it in a poor light, like you were desperate for any old thing.

3. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Too true! Video games usually display some degree of logic and reason.

I've got an email from one of my referees saying what a "roaring success" I was on intensive revision courses I gave in both SL and HL maths. As other teachers have pointed out, planning and running such courses is vastly more challenging than teaching IB day-to-day. I include an excerpt from this email, along with the contact details of its author, in my applications.

Does it help? Not a jot. In fact one school in a small German town has just re-advertised, without even bothering to contact my referees. At this time of the year, especially given the location (and the fact that for this location a working knowledge of German is necessary), it seems likely that their kids will start the year without a teacher.

All I'm saying is don't make any assumptions about experience or teaching ability landing you a job. Recruitment is often a very irrational process.

4. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

Even a jaded old thespian like me still gets 'rave notices' from time to time. I occasionally receive them from former colleagues (a tricky house to play: think Sunderland Empire, Sat'day neet) who were grateful not to have been bored witless by some INSET course or other. There are a few in the old scrapbook from kids I never taught long-term but either I put them through their paces in the run-up to the exams or I stepped in for an absent colleague with my slickly-rehearsed smoke and mirrors routine. Occasionally they come from students I've taught over a period of two, three, four, five, six, even seven years.
    Not in my footlights experience. Smoke and mirrors will wow the audience short-term but doing the business for the whole extended run is what cuts it for the cognoscenti.
    But it is a major factor.

5. 2 things - firstly, i've read a few posts by 'David Getling': not the most self effacing chap. isn't he just a non-serious persona created to excite other posters?
    secondly, i agree with you Mainwaring re consistency over wow factor. students certainly appreciate this more but what is the best way to discern this when appointing?
    regarding the sunderland empire - poor Sid James.

6. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

Ideally it's both consistency AND the wow factor. The latter is easier to pick up at interview. For the former I'd look at:
    1) The CV for a fairly consistent track-record of teaching/ performing well at the relevant levels.
    2) Corroboration of the above from relevant referees, e.g. your previous HTs/ HoDs. Refs from parents are sometimes useful but their perspectives are inevitably narrower.
    It's not an exact Science. As a selector I always went into an interview with a clearly defined set of appointment criteria but my panel learned sometimes to ignore our preconceptions because a candidate turned out to be so spectacularly brilliant or so desperately dire as to explode all preconceptions.
    Any honest interviewer will admit that we sometimes get it wrong.

7. I've been on the circuit for many years with much IB experience and very good results. However I am yet to scramble my way into a 'top tier' school. Competition is brutal for the good schools wet towel. Work hard, bide your time and hope good luck falls upon you. If you can't do that don't bother!

8. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

As long as you actually know which phase you are teaching in as well as which one you are applying to!
    Also remember not all good international schools have gone the IB route and some have both IB DIP and A Levels so well rounded experience and an ability to engage with pupils is, in my opinion, the most most important factor!

9. yes i agree with the above. our school has a mix of inspirational/ apathetic/ miserable/ cheerful/ moaning/ positive/ hard working/ lazy etc. teachers who have come from IB and British systems - the defining factors aren't the previous teaching route and this comes across, at least partially, in interview.
    thanks for your reply to my second point Captain. as to my first one: put your trumpet away DG.

10. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Bull Sheeting is an art form. After years of practise I am at the top of my game.

11. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Oh please! People who are good bullshitters use it to schmooze people and ingratiate themselves if only for a short time until the truth is revealed. I can't really say that you have shown much evidence of that on here. Or maybe you are bullshitting us all into believing you are an absolute *** when you are really a wonderful person in 'real life'. That must be it. Taking the dick off your head after a hard day of beinng MM perhaps?