1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

IB Group 2 - ability?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by CinnamonGirl, Mar 12, 2011.

1. I'd really appreciate any comments on the general ability of Group 2 students. I am thinking in particular of Group 2 HL students (language acquisition) in their first year of study.
    Thank you!
    CG

2. Arepa

Arepa New commenter

Perhaps this response will be more relevant. My understanding is that you will be giving a model class to either a group of student finishing their 1st year of English B HL or a Group of student finishing their 2nd year. Based on my experience, I would expect both groups to be fluent (the 2nd years even more so). The first years might still have some minor issues with agreement and pronoun usage (my experience is primarily with Spanish speakers), but their vocabulary should be more than adequate to follow you and participate in the lesson. They might have strong accents, but they will generally use correct grammar. On your part, I would recommend that you speak clearly, slowly, and articulately (without being so slow and precise that you come across as condescending). Also, avoid a overly sophisticated vocabulary (eschatological springs to mind for some reason) and Anglicism's (e.g. "sticky wicket and cheeky b*gger"). Have some fun with the class and try to make it as student centred as possible (we IB folks like that). Good luck.

3. That is incredibly useful - thank you so much, Arepa [​IMG]