1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

IB English A and B

Discussion in 'Independent' started by Strick1982, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Strick1982

Strick1982 New commenter

Hello all

I'm in the unusual position of teaching IB in the state sector. It's still really new to me so I was hoping for any advice, top tips, links, resources - anything really. What helped you when you were new to teaching IB? It's so different to A Levels which is the system I've been used to for the past 12 yrs of teaching. I'm very keen to know more as I'm very impressed with the breadth of learning it affords and our IB students compared to our A Level ones can be a world apart.

Thanks in advance

Claire

2. StrangePanda

StrangePanda Occasional commenter

The 'In Thinking' website is helpful. Some of the information and resources are free, others you will need to subscribe for. Are you teaching Literature or LangLit?

Strick1982 likes this.
  3. Strick1982

Strick1982 New commenter

Thanks StrangePanda. I've just taken a look at it. It looks fab but unfortunately, at first glance, seems to be for the LangLit course - we just do the Literature. Any more links much appreciated!
    Claire

4. StrangePanda

StrangePanda Occasional commenter

Ah, ok. I wasn't sure which you would be doing. Some of the information is likely to be helpful (e.g. relating to Part 3, Paper 2/ hints in relation to IOCs).

If you are starting from scratch, I think that the most important thing is to make sure that you understand the structure of the course and to ensure that you have a two year (or 18-20 month, depending on your school year) plan that works for you and your students. E.g. it is important to know when you will be conducting the IOCs.

Remember that you won't always be able to approach texts in the same way that you might an A'level text: IB does do breadth very well, but in order to cover everything you will have to be more focused in the way that you approach teaching (e.g. by generic features, theme etc). You will also need to make sure that the students understand that the IB requires them to be independent learners.

Are there other teachers in your area that you can meet face to face with? Many IB schools favour 'job-alikes' as a method of support, networking and moderation.