1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

IB CPD

Discussion in 'International Baccalaureate' started by MsOnline, Jul 29, 2019.

1. MsOnline

MsOnline New commenter

Hi,

anyone recommend useful IB courses please?

Maybe those that can be done online or in the UK?

What else could make a CV/ covering letter stand out if you don't have direct IB experience?

Thanks.

2. Bill8899

Bill8899 New commenter

The IB has online continuing (or initial) professional development courses for many subjects and grade levels.

https://www.ibo.org/professional-development/which-type-of-training-is-right-for-me/online-pd/

They recommend the Cat1 courses for teachers new to the IB. The courses run 4 weeks and cost $600. Yes, that's not cheap! I completed the Cat1 for my subject and I must tell you, Week 3 took about 15 hours to complete. It was not particularly difficult, but there were about thirteen tasks to complete that week. The IB Cat1 courses, at least the one I finished, takes considerably more time than the Cambridge CPDs.

MsOnline likes this.
  3. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

There is a whole PD page set up on the IB's webpage (google IB professioal develolment). Have a look at what you want and apply. Nearly all of them can be done either face to face or online. The online ones will involve people from all over the world. The face to face are also done all over the world, but are more expensive.

If you havent done anything yet then start with the basics like "introduction to the MYP/PYP" etc. Or you can do the cat 1 course in your own subject area.

MsOnline likes this.
  4. MsOnline

MsOnline New commenter

This is great - thanks to you both :)

I'm reading though all the literature - must admit I'm finding it a bit confusing at the moment as there are so many links on the site and within the document.

@ Bill8899 I have found my way to a free 'Nano PD' as a starting point. I would be willing to pay once I'm a bit clearer about the pathways so plan to email them.

@Dumbbells I couldn't find the one you mentioned, any tips? This is what I'm using:
    https://ecatalogue.ibo.org/publication/?m=53719&l=1#{"issue_id":601328,"page":6}

5. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

6. MsOnline

MsOnline New commenter

Hi,

I'm starting to with through the Nano PD - it's really good for self-refection and will add it to my CV.

Thanks to you both :)

Bill8899 likes this.