1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

IB Biology

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by retourrbx, Apr 22, 2012.

1. I'm leading IB biology for the first time and was wondering if anyone had experience of teaching it?
    Would teaching the SL in lower 6th and the HL in upper 6th be doable - it then stops the issue of SL students being in HL classes.
    A long shot but does anyone have a SoW they would share?
    Any info as to how people complete all the necessary work would be well received as it seems to be a fair bit more than A Level.
    Thanks for looking.

2. I'm leading IB biology for the first time and was wondering if anyone had experience of teaching it?
    Would teaching the SL in lower 6th and the HL in upper 6th be doable - it then stops the issue of SL students being in HL classes.
    A long shot but does anyone have a SoW they would share?
    Any info as to how people complete all the necessary work would be well received as it seems to be a fair bit more than A Level.
    Thanks for looking.

3. Masfar

Masfar New commenter

SL in one year is pretty difficult because as well as the theory you will spend a lot of time fulfilling the criteria for practical work and teaching skills for the internal assessment. We teach both as mixed classes for two years but in the second year HL have 3 hours extra a week. I have also chosen options that can span across both SL and HL (E and F to be exact)

A lot of Topic 6 is a direct overlap from GCSE so I ask the pupils to complete these chapters as home reviews.

Also expect HL pupils to complete Topics 7 and 9 themselves as home review.

Having taught both I feel the IB is definitely a lot more challenging for pupils in terms of content and complex ideas but it is a lot more fun teaching it!