1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

IAT tests candidates during face to face interview

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by uddinp, Jan 23, 2016.

1. uddinp

uddinp New commenter

Could someone explain this in more detail? Has anyone been to an interview with IAT where they had to do a written test on their subject? If so what format was the test in and what level do they assess u on?

2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Who or what is IAT? If you are mentioning a specific school, then of course the TES Moderators will most probably delete this thread and ban you, uddinp.

I have never ever heard of any international school asking prospective teaching staff to sit any sort of test or exam. This sounds seriously weird to me. If the written test is actually during the face to face interview, then I would imagine that it might be a little bit difficult to write one's test and answer the interviewer's questions at the same time!

3. uddinp

uddinp New commenter

IAT is a massive organisations and they have loads of schools under their wings so i guess I am not really giving away their schools name am I? If it is the case then can the Original post be deleted?

yes its a written test during a two part face to face interview!

4. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Been doing this international thing for quite a while now, and thats a new one on me.

uddinp likes this.
  5. lunarita

lunarita Lead commenter

I haven't heard of this before and I know subject knowledge isn't the be all and end all, but it IS important and how much can you actually tell about a teacher from an interview? I don't see how it can do any harm to use subject knowledge in the selection procedure.

uddinp likes this.
  6. davidbowiefan

davidbowiefan Established commenter

If you are applying through a certain agency, withdraw and apply for other vacancies. They will knowingly send people into very unpleasant situations. I was interested in a similar programme in that country last year but was advised to avoid it by teachers on this forum. Let's face it, if they have to do written tests to make sure their teachers have subject knowledge, their standards must be pretty low.

uddinp likes this.
  7. uddinp

uddinp New commenter

I thought it would have been the opposite, that they have a high volume of applications and want to select the very best. Or maybe I'm just still a little naive

8. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

And your justification for this statement?

My nephew's school has just had to get rid of two new maths teachers, in very rapid succession: they didn't know their stuff. So obviously one has to establish a candidate's level and scope of knowledge, and demo lessons can only show a bit of this.

So does the interviewer ask lots of subject related questions. Surely asking them on a written paper is a much more efficient solution, and probably more accurate, because being asked on the spot might be more stressful, or the oral communication of the question might not be as clear. Also, this has the added advantage of leaving the interviewer more time to ask other kinds of questions, which can also be important.

When I worked in I.T. companies often made candidates do tests, because for years they had got their fingers burnt employing bull ******* who weren't up to the job. I remember taking one such test in C++. I got 95% (and the job), and was subsequently told that most candidates who claimed to have this skill were scoring around 35%.

If you know your subject then a test is your chance to shine more brightly than the competition:D.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2016
  9. davidbowiefan

davidbowiefan Established commenter

Do the best UK state and independent schools ask applicants to write essays? There's your answer. I imagine they do it either because applicants aren't qualified in their subject or they may not have a sufficient level of English.

If you're going through the agency that will help you teach around the world - avoid, avoid, avoid!

PS Do a search for ADEC on this forum and you'll see why I decided not to apply for a similar programme.

10. Meldavis6180

Meldavis6180 New commenter

IAT and STS both ask for a written test, but the subject is/was related to your use of ICT (more specifically iPads) within the classroom. This I presumed was to check proficiency of English and willingness to support the use of iPads within teaching. This was given just before the mini teach, nothing too testing, just a title and free writing exercise rather than a structured test.
    IAT and STS come beneath the ADVETI umbrella and are the vocational and technical educators for Emirati students. Unlike ADEC they have schools in every emirate.

11. the hippo

IAT, STS, ICT, ADVETI and ADEC. How many acronymns can we squeeze into one post, Meldavis6180?

12. mikemcdonald25

mikemcdonald25 Occasional commenter

Even I worked out that these are all Emirati Government Educational Agencies (is that an oxymoron?) but apropos of subject tests, it used to be a thing in the UK in years gone by and even occasionally when interviewing for a job on the circuit that one would be asked some subject specific questions, just to make sure you weren't a complete idiot I guess, but as for written tests never heard of that one.

Although in these days of the 'dumbing down' of the profession, i.e. in school training, schools being set up by groups of parents, faith schools, schools set up by various companies that pay into the Tory party coffers, the 'mums army' etc etc I guess that it is no longer the case that one should expect a decent level of subject knowledge.

13. the hippo

Yes, I would say that "Emirati Government Educational Agency" is probably an oxymoron, although these agencies also do a good line in hyperbole.

In Qatar, we had the Chicken Supreme Council or was it the Supreme (and Absolutely Perfect) Council for Education? Although Mrs. Hippo and I were in Doha for five years, we never met any Qatari teachers and we never met anyone who had met any. Therefore we had the absurd situation of Qataris in the SEC telling every school in Qatar how they should be doing things and yet no Qatari seemed to have any practical knowledge of education. Some international schools in Doha tried to dodge the SEC's ludicrous orders, as they claimed to be affiliated to various embassies and so had a kind of diplomatic immunity, but one wonders how long before the SEC's tentacles reach out and strangle all international schools, including the house near the park and the one where English is spoken. Instead of improving Qatari schools, the SEC's main aim seemed to be to make life more difficult for international schools.