1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

IAL (International A level) vs New Linear A level ?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by deepmatrix, Feb 8, 2017.

1. deepmatrix

deepmatrix New commenter

I know this option isn't available to all (state) schools, but as a private school we have the option to switch to IAL. I've looked around but couldn't find much/any discussion on this.

From what I understand so far the IAL is more or less the same as the current modular A level structure, with a few small differences:
    1) C1,C2 and C3,C4 are combined exams (C1 and C2 in one paper, C3 and C4 in one as well)
    2) Small amount of new content in FP1

Everything else seems to remain the same. January and June sittings, modular system with AS feeding into A2.

So it seems we can use the old text books, resources etc.
    This is looking attractive to us right now, as other departments in our school have done this previously - giving the advantage of letting the chaos die down over the first few years of the new Linear A levels.
    Hopefully we can then jump back in once enough resources and past papers have been published, and once any teething problems have been ironed out.

Anyone had any experience with the IAL Maths (Edexcel)?
    Will they be as valued by universities as the new linear system?

Any opinions on it would welcome.

2. Molesworth2

Molesworth2 New commenter

Unfortunately IAL from Edexcel isn't open to any UK schools, private or otherwise...

3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Pre-U perhaps? I know little about them, but some schools take them.

4. janem42

janem42 New commenter

The Cambridge Maths and FMaths International A level can be taken in the UK - I have looked at them briefly as we use Cambridge for Geography. We have decided against it as we have quite a few EAL (mainly Chinese) students and the problems seem more wordy than those on the new Edecel/AQA papers .

5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

On reflection, I think I would ask a few universities, unless it is already covered on their websites.

6. billc2

billc2 New commenter

I have been teaching the CIE A Level for the last 6 years in various International Schools. I really like the course, but there are a few things to remember.

P3 is a huge unit and takes much time to teach, I have been teaching P1, S1 and M1 in the first year with any retakes needed taken in November of the second year. Then using the whole of the second year for P3.

The whole of M1 and most of M2 are covered in the Physics spec, so you can dispense with S1 completely for your Physics students and co-teach with the physics teacher.

One thing to watch is the "13 Month Rule" which means that you cannot do any exams in November of the first year unless you are teaching the complete A level in one year.