1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

i would like your help please

Discussion in 'Independent' started by liverpool00, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Hi!

I’m a Greek classics teacher. I live in Greece and
    I’m interested in teaching classics in a UK school. I would like your opinion
    on a couple of matters. Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

I
    have gained QTS, but I have no UK teaching (classroom) experience.

1) Do
    you think that it is a serious drawback? What
    can I do about that? How can I gain some teaching experience?

2) I’m wondering what my chances really are finding
    a classics post in an independent school with no experience.

Thanks
    in anticipation.

2. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

As in you are a classics teacher that just teaches classical Greek, or a classics teacher who is Greek?
    Our current classics teacher (prep school) is not a qualified teacher, not many classics teachers are trained in the UK each year, however most of her work is teaching Latin, Greek is just for able children in their final year who can cope with it.
    If you have teaching experience, UK or not, then that is what schools will be looking for. You have nothing to lose in making applications, although it's probably one of those subjects where there isn't a huge turnover in staff and I would suspect (but have no proof) that many classics teachers are nearing retirement age.

3. I’m a
    Greek teacher who teaches Classical Greek and Latin in Greece and I’m interested
    in teaching these subjects in a UK school.

I have
    Greek teaching experience, but no UK teaching experience.

So, I assume I should
    keep an eye on the jobs advertised on the TES.

4. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

You should certainly keep an eye open for jobs in the independent sector (which are mainly likely to appear in the first few months of 2012, although you may see some before then).
    Latin is becoming more popular in the UK (not that it ever disappeared in the independent sector) and, while Classical Greek has always been a minority subject, there are some independent schools that offer Classical Greek for GCSE (ages 15-16) as well as for A-level (ages 17-18).
    I suggest that you research the exam syllabuses for Ancient History and Classical Civilisation - some schools offer these as an alternative to purely language-based classical subjects. If you feel you can offer these, you will strengthen any applications to a Classics department.
    Good luck - and let us know if there's anything else we can help with.

5. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

As long as you have teaching experience, can offer what a school wants subject wise and have a good command of written and spoken English then I can't see what could stop you from applying to schools. Keep on the lookout on www.tesjobs.co.uk for possible vacancies in classics - you can set up alerts to email you when jobs are posted.

6. Many thanks for your
    replies.
    Do you know how can I find
    the Latin-Classical Greek GCSE-ALEVEL syllabuses and the set texts?

7. I can't/don't know how to post links but google OCR (I'm sure that they are the only exam board to offer Latin and Greek in UK). On their home page on the left hand side in the white box click "qualifications". More options will open and from these choose "by subject" and then choose "Classics". There's links for both Latin and Greek in there.

Everything that you need to know is in the Specification.

8. A local independent school where i live advertised a classics teacher twice recently and don't think they found anybody! And it's a very nice school!