1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I would like to increase my contract...

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by CosmicGoddess, Mar 12, 2018.

1. CosmicGoddess

CosmicGoddess New commenter

I teach in a PRU and in September 2017, I reduced my hours from a 0.8 contract to 0.6 contract over 3 days. I also have a TLR for the SENCO role. The pay for this has been reduced to 0.6 of the full TLR value and the non-contact time to carry out the role as well. However, there is no-one else doing the other 0.4 of the role so basically, I am doing it all. Since September, new responsibilities have also been added to my role. I also teach 2 subjects, do break duties, assemblies and run a literacy session. I do not have any PPA time on my timetable at all because PPA time is at the same time for all staff and that is on one of my non-working days and my timetable is so tight, there isn't any time for PPA time when I am in work. Also, all staff meetings and training, including that for my role takes place on one of my non-working days, as do a lot of deadlines for reports, etc.

By October 2017, I realised that I could not get the job done in the three days I am at work at all, and (verbally) asked an assistant head who is my line manager if I could go back onto the 0.8. He said he would look into it. I never heard anything back and he never answered or returned any of my calls. I was then told in passing by the PRU centre manager for the site I teach at, that the assistant head had told her they can't afford to put me back onto 0.8. She suggested that to get all of the work done, I could come earlier, leave later and do work at the weekends. I have since just struggled on and the workload has just piled up. A couple of weeks ago, I emailed the Headteacher of the PRU to ask for his advice and he never replied. I then spoke to my union who told me that I should be paid the whole TLR if I am doing the whole role (this has never been the case since I went to 0.8 in 2015) and that I should have at least 10% PPA time. I spoke about this to my PRU manager and she said that when I had requested to increase my days in October, she had been given the choice by the assistant head to agree to that or to keep on an agency TA that we currently have working at the PRU but the budget would not allow for both. She said she chose the TA because it is a person in a classroom and I would just be doing paperwork and so not useful in the management of the pupils. I wondered why the 0.4 of my TLR salary allocation was being used to pay for agency staff and not me or a job-share to do my role. She was not able to answer that. I have since put in a formal request to the Headteacher to increase my contract. That was over a week ago and I have heard nothing back, not even just to acknowledge it and that it is hand. I have called him twice and he is always in a meeting and has not got back to me. When I put in my request to reduce my contract last June, I got a reply agreeing to it the same day.

I do not know what to do now. There are all sorts of rumours flying around at work about budget cuts and measures that are going to be brought in to reduce the number of TLR post holders and also the allocation of non-contact time they are assigned. There are talks of some of the PRU sites going to be closed or merged and yet at the same time, some new TLR posts have just been created and are currently being advertised as internal posts. The union says the Headteacher/Leadership have 3 months to make a decision on flexible working requests, so there isn't anything I can do right now. I don't think I can wait 3 months because if I cannot get this sorted out, I need to find a new job and jobs are coming out now. Firstly, I cannot work with this pressure, my non-working days are ruined by it and anyway I feel demoralised and like they are just taking the mick. Secondly, my circumstances have changed at home, so I need to bring in more income and am struggling financially, I have started to do supply on my non-working days but I would prefer the security of just doing the work I am already doing in the correct number of directed hours and getting paid for it. Also, can they just ignore me like this? What are my rights? Where do I go from here? Any advice is very much appreciated. Thanks.

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

It sounds as if budgets are tight and in a state of flux, so I doubt you're going to get a quick answer to requesting to increase your working hours.

However, as your union has said, you are entitled to your 10% PPA, and if you are planning/marking for the whole week, you should be getting the full quota of PPA that full-timers get, since you have as much PPA to do. It's not quite clear to me whether you're getting the promised non-contact time for the TLR role. So get your union into action on that, regardless of wanting to change contract. They either need to give you the PPA time within your 0.6, or increase your contract so you can have it - you can let them know if you'd be equally happy either way.. There's no "3 months to respond" on this one, and presumably your union will know how to pursue it.

As regards increasing your contract, probably the simplest thing is to inform the head that although you would like to continue at the PRU on a more reasonable contract, regrettably you are going to have to look elsewhere, and will they be willing to give you a reference? That may focus their minds.

sabrinakat likes this.