1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I would like a MOAN and I don't care

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Pageant, Jun 29, 2020 at 5:23 PM.

1. Pageant

Pageant Occasional commenter

1. Tried to ring the surgery to ask for a repeat prescription (blood pressure). Their website is unavailable and their facebook page has no way of contacting/messaging them. Tried to find a way of ordering online but it's hopeless, not connecting to anything. Kept on trying to ring them all morning and most of this afternoon but all I got was the infernal message...... gist of .......... 'if you're at death's door ring 999, if you want a face to face appointment press1, if it's a prescription or to speak to the receptionist press 2' Pressing 2 just repeats the full message. Pressing 1 cuts me off. I now know all about needing a mask and how to get in the building. THEY HAVE DONE THIS BEFORE, turned the phone off and forgotten to put it back so it can ring out. Spitting bricks at the stupid receptionists. How on earth anyone wanting to see a doctor today will fare/has fared I do not know.

2. Trying to sort out an online tax form since they are no longer sending out paper ones. Spitting so many bricks I've probable got the highest blood pressure ever.

3. It's so bloody cold in my house today I've had to put the heating on................

Other than that today has been ......................

agathamorse likes this.
  2. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

I have no doubt who is responsible for all this..........

alex_teccy likes this.
  3. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

After much experiment, I have found the most reliable way of obtaining repeat prescriptions is to ask our local branch of Superdrug to get them. It usually take about 4 days, but they are almost always there and there is no messing around trying to get through to the surgery.

Pageant likes this.
  4. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Does your surgery have a link with a local chemist? My prescription is on automatic repeat with Boots. If I need anything extra I can sort it out through them - they will make the request on my behalf.

What a pain! Your surgery does sound very patient-unfriendly, I have to say. I hope you can get it sorted.

Edit: could you go round there and bang on the door so that they have to sort you out?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020 at 5:50 PM
    Pageant, sbkrobson and agathamorse like this.
  5. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Register for a repeat prescription service, here is some reassurance that it works.
    https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/nhs-services/pharmacies/how-to-order-repeat-prescriptions-online/
    Make your registration effective to your preferred pharmacy. That's all you need. Find them online. There will be an online form to fill through them.
    Your request will be diverted to the surgery and they will see it before they will be available to answer the phone. They are quite probably not able to answer because they are swamped with others doing the same.
    You cannot speed them up if they are not answering, but at least you can get your request kickstarted. It does not have to be in contact with your GP-it is auto sent to your GP who will then process it if they know you, or phone you if they need to speak.
    It has to be in their time and not yours at the moment because they are stretched.
    So do your bit to assist them, and for you obviously, and just get it automated. It is one phone call less for them to answer.

6. maggie m

maggie m Lead commenter

I had my very elderly neighbour on the phone this morning . She had been having a similar experience to you Pageant and was getting quite distressed. I walked to the local pharmacist with her. He rolled his eyes muttered about the surgery not thinking of the elderly and sorted it out in a few minutes.

7. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

1 Going round used to be the only way of getting mine to do anything. But now, they won't let you in without an appointment due to Covid. What homeless people/those without a phone/people with specific disabilities which make it hard for them to use a phone are supposed to do... I don't know.

2 I've heard people say how hard it is now they're made to do everything online-great when it works, not when it doesn't, plus some people just don't like computers, and if they're good enough to be trying to pay tax, which helps everyone, shouldn't they be able to use paper if they like?

3 Well, it's easier to make yourself warmer than colder, assuming that like most Brits, you've no air con.

agathamorse and Pageant like this.
  8. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I feel your pain, Pageant. It's awful to feel so helpless, when it feels as if everything's set up to prevent you from getting in touch. Our doctors seem to swing wildly between being really good and really bad. Maybe it depends which receptionist is on duty! I hope you get it sorted. I am back in winter clothes today.:(

agathamorse and Pageant like this.
  9. Pageant

Pageant Occasional commenter

Thank you for all your nice replies, boy was I spitting bricks yesterday. I shall begin again today and try some of your suggestions. I simply can't believe that the Drs is so useless as to forget to switch the phone over to working mode. Those receptionists really do need a rocket! And another annoyance, had I been ill and needed a doctor (or had something embarrassing wrong with me - other than spitting bricks that is) was the message (recorded of course) that I "should be prepared to describe my symptoms to the receptionist" so that she can decide how to proceed.

As for the tax form, it might have helped if the letter giving me the codes I needed to sign in had mentioned somewhere that the ACESS code they also included was a temporary one and would expire and that I would be sent a new one by text each time I tried to log on. Since my mobile is never switched on unless in the middle of an emergency I never saw the text messages (plural) being sent out every time I tried again................... I hasten to add that although I earn a tiny amount these days (where once I earned I living) I haven't actually had to pay any tax for the last two years but still need to declare what I do get. Sigh.

agathamorse likes this.