1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

‘I would burn in hell before returning’ – why British teachers are fleeing overseas

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by englishdragon, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Interista

Interista New commenter

You might change your mind if you came to one I’m currently at.

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Bad schools in Spain...im shocked !!!! Its never been heard of before o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

3. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

Wow. Thin skinned or what. How long until the word anxiety rears its ugly head?

4. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

It's not about being thin skinned. It's about calling out old codgers who insult the younger generation in a blanket manner and think they're better than them. The older generation will often blame the younger generation when it's them that made the mess in the first place.

They are dealing with and ultimately clearing up your mess.

5. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

6. yasf

yasf Established commenter

'The children now love luxury; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are tyrants, not servants of the households. They no longer rise when their elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize over their teachers.'
    (Commonly attributed to SOCRATES by Plato, according to William L. Patty and Louise S. Johnson, Personality and Adjustment, p. 277 (1953), but the NY Times (April 3, 1966, p16) only found a reference to the Mayor of Amsterdam, Gijsbert van Hall, following a street demonstration in 1966).

7. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

This is the most boomer thread I've read in a while

TeacherMan19 likes this.
  8. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

TeacherMan19 excoriates the venerable Perce for generalising and immediately falls down the same person hole. It is true that many geriatrics voted for Brexit, but by no means all. Those of us such as Perce and I, who have lived out of the UK for more than fifteen years, were not even eligible to vote in the referendum. I am vastly more ancient than Perce and every time I see that ubiquitous image of the codger with his ‘We want our country back’ placard I long to slap those whiskery old chops.

It’s quite true that the older generation is responsible for the mess. But which older generation and which mess? My granddad (wounded in WW1) used to spit fire when he remembered Lloyd George’s ‘homes for heroes’ promise. And what price Falstaff’s delicious ‘They hate us youth’?

After spending the past fifteen years doing other things than teaching I wouldn’t presume to comment on the general quality of UK teachers, but one of the things I have noticed since I joined the TES in 1998 is a steady decline in the quality of the English used by many posters. Language is arguably our most important teaching tool and if we have an imperfect command of it our students’ learning must suffer.

9. Penny10p

Penny10p Occasional commenter

I have noticed an increase in teachers with tattoos.

towncryer likes this.
  10. motorhomer

motorhomer New commenter

Was this because of a BSO inspection? The same thing is happening at my school.

towncryer and worlo24 like this.
  11. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Penny10p, it seems to me that teachers who have tattoos often cannot use apostrophes correctly. I wonder why that might be.

I don't think that motorhomer is correct in saying that tattoos are the result of a BSO inspection. That does appear to me to be rather unlikely. On the other hand, it might be the case that all of the teachers were so happy that the BSO inspection was finally over that they all got drunk and got themselves tattoed as well. Yes, that might explain it.

Bill8899 likes this.
  12. motorhomer

motorhomer New commenter

:D:D:D

Thank you for making me laugh while I miserably write my reports!

13. frogusmaximus

frogusmaximus Occasional commenter

You know, I really don't give a s**t about UK schools.

My University based training to become a teacher was insufficient and irrelevant, I'm trying to avoid using 'shambolic', the career path non-existent, when i found work, the leaders were incompetent, the teaching aspects of the curriculum were often irrelevant to the children in my classroom, I was made to feel inadequate and unable to develop a style of teaching which matched my personality due to a need to conform to a stereotypical image, my salary relative to the hours I put in and the skills I was expected to excel at, were poor.

I really find it hard to think of any aspects of the job that are enjoyable other than the relationship one builds with the kids.

Being out of the UK for 15 years developed me as a highly skilled educator with an ability to lead, and social skills that brought parents on-board. On the whole I worked in an environment in which I was left to go it alone. It isn't perfect overseas and finding good leaders is still rare, but I'm better rewarded financially and in the appreciation of my skills.

The UK has reaped what it has sewn.

14. TeacherMan19

Did anyone abroad actually enjoy working in the UK?
    I worked in a good school, enjoyed my job, had a good work-life balance and didn't really have any problems with leadership aside from the odd annoying request for a form.
    I spent one day a week in university and the rest in practise at school when I trained so got a good mix of real life and theoretical teaching.
    Sounds like I'm gloating - I'm not. I was maybe just lucky. But I just wanted to know if I'm one of few people who enjoyed it?

worlo24, yasf and 24hours like this.
  15. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

Resonates with me.

16. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Mine was fine. I enjoyed most of it, but it just can not come even remotely close to working abroad. I did have a truly terrible time in Spain, so did other members of my family, and a number of close friends, but i didnt let it put me off. I have moved on to much much much better countries and schools and truly love my life now.

17. Beagles111

Beagles111 New commenter

Teacherman 19, I am hoping that the number is your age rather than iq....Wow, you are so lucky! Not only did you work in a good school with a fantastic work life balance, but now you are also vaunted as a fantastic, and valued, teacher in your new school. One could wonder why you left the original one? Me? I loved working at my school in the UK, but now I teach kids who are interested in learning do not fight with each other or punch teachers and actually enjoy being at school. I am also absolutely raking in the cash because of the clownery of people who voted for Brexit and sent the pound into the toilet. I own two houses in the UK, both let out to people who may well have voted to leave the EU.....but who knows, dear boy, who knows.

18. TeacherMan19

I left my original school to seek a new adventure. I'd set myself up financially and was comfortable and just wanted to try something new whilst I was still young.
    19 is neither my age or IQ (both above 20!)

I think we are all reaping benefits of the bad situation that is Brexit. You can add more houses to your collection soon enough.

19. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

After the ballyhoo from you moral youngsters vis-a-vis your moral superiority over us greedy geriatrics it's reassuring to know that you are all taking full advantage of the Brexit balderdash.

towncryer likes this.
  20. TeacherMan19

I voted to remain as I felt it would be better for the country. Unfortunately we lost. I still work the same job. Brexiteers made my wage go up. I technically voted against it... (in a round about way)