1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

‘I would burn in hell before returning’ – why British teachers are fleeing overseas

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by englishdragon, Nov 13, 2019.

1. englishdragon

englishdragon Occasional commenter

2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Lots have already gone and more are going.

snitzelvonkrumm likes this.
  3. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

I like to think of myself as a good teacher, but I wouldn't survive back in the UK now. Most of the skills I needed to teach there have faded away and been replaced with skills related to actually teaching a subject.

I always say to my wife that if, for whatever reason, we ever have to return to the UK (god forbid) I will stack shelves in a supermarket before I'll step inside a school.

It's got nothing to do with Brexit (which will never happen as I've been saying since the whole debacle started).

4. ed717

ed717 New commenter

I am worried that the international market is becoming flooded as a result of this. I have applied for loads of jobs and nothing... I wonder if schools prefer teachers fresh out of the UK. I really don't want to have to go back in order to get employed elsewhere!

5. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

i would rather work in Spain again before the UK..... that says a LOT !!!!!

6. Vietteacher

Vietteacher New commenter

Having worked at one of the places mentioned in the article, I would rather burn in hell before sending my kids there or even calling it a 'school'. Great marketing, but educationally woeful.

7. 24hours

24hours New commenter

Shocker, teachers leave state schools and heading into fee-paying schools with smaller class sizes and more resources - of course, life is going to be sweeter.

I suspect you would see similar articles in the Spanish, French or Italian press if there were a requirement across the world for teachers that spoke those languages rather than English

motorhomer likes this.
  8. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

It's not always as bad as it is in the UK though. The state system isn't the same everywhere. In my country state teachers are poorly paid, undervalued etc etc but they don't deal with abusive behaviour and violence on a daily basis. Every time I go to the UK I see gangs of youths in the streets being aggressive. I've even seen them shouting abuse at old people just walking to the shops. This simply doesn't happen in every country.

ToK-tastic and towncryer like this.
  9. dumbbells66

you only need to look at Canada, and why there are so many Canadians on the international circuit. they are paid well comparatively, have an excellent pension system and from what i have heard, not killed by paperwork. so many of my Canadian colleagues keep saying how next to impossible it is for them to find work back home....they must be doing something well, and different to the UK

yasf and towncryer like this.
  10. 24hours

24hours New commenter

You’re correct of course. But you can apply that statement just to the UK.

Not every school in the UK has violence as a daily occurrence, not every town filled with abusive gangs.

My point was, that comparing moving from state to fee paying is not a fair comparison.

11. dumbbells66

the private schools in the UK have been taking a kicking in the press lately though. exam cheating, drug abuse etc.

Brexshit topped it all off for me..... I don't want to be near the UK again. if people can be that small-minded and idiotic I don't want anything to do with them.

yasf, towncryer, ed717 and 1 other person like this.
  12. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

13. dumbbells66

14. worlo24

worlo24 New commenter

The right school in the UK is important. Having recently returned from teaching internationally, I was apprehensive with a lot of the horror stories I had heard but I have found a great school that value worklife balance and actually provide staff with a well-being package. I feel supported also in school and feel that I am making a valuable contribution. I work in a pretty tough area but the children have a good attitude towards learning and although there are a few behavior issues (nothing major) I feel that I can teach and make a difference.

With staff well-being and workload now being a new Ofsted priority, I am pretty sure that a lot of schools will be making steps to ensure that this is address in their setting. From my international experiences, I have come back with a clear understanding of what a good worklife balance should look like and make sure that I adhere to this in my new school, so a lot of it is to do with your own mindset as well. There are definitely worse places to teach than the UK in my opinion. I would teach internationally again but that would be more to do with experiencing living in a different country/culture and what comes with that than necessarily workload in the UK. Obviously every school in every country is different and people will have different experiences wherever they are in the world.

24hours likes this.
  15. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Staff well-being and workload are a new Ofsted priority? Next we will have the John McEnroe School of Charm and the Donald Trump University for Race and Gender Equality.

motorhomer and yasf like this.
  16. teachersn

teachersn New commenter

Having just been through an OFSTED inspection on the new framework I can say confidently that staff well-being and workload are on their agenda. Every time they demanded a document or policy that we were not required to produce they said "if you have x policy please can I have a copy of it, if it is not too much trouble".

17. Jeremyinspain

Jeremyinspain Occasional commenter

Agreed. I do think the increasing demand for more and more 'English-speaking' teachers by the international schools market is a warning for the UK system as a whole...

18. worlo24

worlo24 New commenter

The school I worked at internationally were keen on adopting a more structured UK model in terms of management meetings, pupil progress meetings, moderation and monitoring so that is something to be wary of also

motorhomer likes this.
  19. worlo24

worlo24 New commenter

Therefore increasing the workload on staff. They were keen to have UK style inspections as well so it all depends on the school and management

motorhomer likes this.
  20. towncryer

towncryer Senior commenter

Indeed. It seems some teachers fresh from the UK are intent on recreating the hellish conditions they have just escaped from,