1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I would be interested to know, what do people/practitioners/teachers/ etc really think about the EYFSP?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by debbiehep, Oct 10, 2010.

1. It is of no value to anyone whatsoever. The whole point of the profile is to allow 'practioners' (as they no longer teach in any meaningful sense of the word) the chance to be still taken seriously when their role was reduced to that of a well-paid childminder having to endure extra-long playtimes. The teacher's role became that of an observer and the child decides the 'lessons'. For child-initiated see 'throw some duplo on the table' or 'put buckets and spades in the sand'. Well worth the money.

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

What exactly is your role, BrainJim?
    Your ignorance knows no bounds when it comes to EYs.

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Depending on the moment SOAPy has been everything from the hand of God to a head teacher to a Y1 teacher to the lollypop lady

4. Does it create more paper work? Yes, obviously.
    Is it right to assess children against 117 learning outcomes? - Whether it is "right", presumeably in a moral sense, is not relevent. As with any assessment we must ask, is it useful? does anyone use it ? does it inform?
    Is there enough support in order to create such a wonderful learning environment? How much support do you need? KS1 run their classes with far fewer personnel.
    Is there enough support from head teachers/senior management/etc? No idea
    Does it prepare children for KS1? Absolutely not.
    Do teachers in KS1 really look through all the outcomes and assessment from the foundation stage ? Nope. I use my own assessments as the FSP gives me no indication whatsoever of where a child is at in reading, writing and maths.

5. spot on teejay especially your last point. How often am I told that the profile points are not hierarchical well if that is so then to the year 1 teacher it is a useless document. Year 1 teachers don't need to know if they have used a role play wok to develop their understanding of other cultures or developed their writing skills by shaping out their name with baked beans.

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

7. Absolutely.
    Taking one statement at random: <font size="2" face="Avenir-Roman">"Hears and says sounds in words". Can anyone on here tell me what that actually means? How that would inform me? </font>

8. Msz

It means if you say /c//a//t/ the child will say the word cat and if you say dog the child can say /d//o//g/ if only you had taken time to look at the profiles

9. This isn't about BrainJim and any 'snide' remarks it is about the contradictory nature of the foundation stage. A stage that employs teachers and then treats them as TAs. Where TAs and teachers are a 'team' of equals unless it's pay day. Where children choose what they learn and teachers observe what children choose this and then write it down and then........ and then what? Plan? Why bother the children can choose. Where planning is based on children's own interests (though many have tried that concept has never been explained with any sense of logic). etc. etc.

10. so in your interpretation that means: can orally segment cvc words with short vowel sounds.

11. ??? Thread opened with a request for honest answers. You get some and you take it as a personal attack. [​IMG]
    A lot of Y1 teachers feel as BrainJim appears to about the FSPs and the EYFS in general. I am aware that they are almost your entire reason for being and that you have been micro-managed so closely that you have probably lost the capacity for independent thought or even the concept of it.
    ....and as for your request for "evidence"....most EFYSers I know think a hard drive of photos and post-its full of anecdotes amounts to evidence.

12. Msz

no because if you said elephant the child can say /e//l//i//f//a//n//t/
    and if you said cheese the child would say /ch//ee//z/

13. I still think TeeJay and BrainJim are the same person.

14. Msz

Since I teach Y2 teejay your logic escapes me

15. Ok, then the child can orally segment all words. In my school the EFYS people interpret that statement entirely differently to you, as does the LA advisor, moderating them. However the CLLD advisor has a different view.

16. Msz

Perhaps they haven't read the profile either?

the examples given in the profile are

Hears and says sounds in words

Danya takes the model of the cat out of the box. When asked to do so, she is able to say the sounds in order &lsquo;c-a-t&rsquo;.

Paul is in the role play area which is a pizzeria. He asks Sharon for a pizza with cheese on. As Sharon writes his order, Paul says &lsquo;Cheese, that&rsquo;s &lsquo;ch-ee-z&rsquo;.&rsquo;

Will and Jess are working in the creative area painting pictures for each other. Jess asks Will &lsquo;How do you do your name?&rsquo; Will says &lsquo;W-i-ll&rsquo;.

17. The fact that you are debating Msz rather proves teejay many points.

18. And that is a "good enough" assessment for you is it?

19. Msz

Really SOAPy?
    I think teejay picked the wrong statement to question as it is pretty straightforward whereas there are others that are [​IMG]