1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I would appreciate some recommendations

Discussion in 'Book club' started by gpporgie, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Hi all,
    I don't know anywhere better than here for excellent recommendations, so if I give you a selection of books that I like, please feel free to recommend something new for me.
    I really enjoy a diverse range of books.
    Books I loved:
    Senor Vivo and the Coca Lords
    Far from the Madding Crowd
    East of Eden
    Memoirs of a Geisha
    Life of Pi
    Pillars of the Earth and World Without End (Loved these 2 books, is Fall of Giants any good?)
    Veronica Decides to Die
    and more recently
    The Hunger Games (Book 1 and 2, not 3)
    I can't think right now, but hopefully this gives you an idea.
    I have Water for Elephants. Is it worth the time reading? And the same for The Help, Wolf Hall and God of Small Things?
    Thanks.

2. lucyrose50

lucyrose50 Occasional commenter

If you enjoyed the oriental culture aspect of Memoirs of a Geisha, try reading some Amy Tan or Lisa See. I really enjoy their books and you learn some interesting things about China/Chinese culture.

3. If you look at the site www.lovereading.co.uk they have a 'like for like' facility which I have found to be very helpful.

4. bedingfield

bedingfield New commenter

I also loved the first 2 books that you mentioned, but found that I had to plough my way through Fall of Giants. I did read it, but it took forever. I think I carried on with it hoping that it might get better [​IMG]
    Recently, I have enjoyed the Shardlake series by C. J. Sansome. They are historical crime/thrillers set in the tudor period.
    I also enjoy fiction based around the Arthurian legends and the trilogy by M. K. Hume (Dragon's Child is the first in the series) really bring the Romano/Anglo Saxon period to life