1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I work in FE and am about to deliver a taster morning in a school...

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by siblood, Sep 2, 2011.

1. A bit of background about myself...
    • Qualified as a secondary school teacher in the subject area of ICT/Computing.
    • First role was 4 years ago at an FE college - about to start 5th year of teaching
    I have been asked to deliver a taster morning at a local secondary school to encourage interest in the college. I have loads of great ideas, however we have been told that sessions will be on a 10 minute rolling conveyor belt!
    Does anyone have any good ideas for what I can deliver to numerous groups in that space of time! Alos has anyone any good ideas for activities where students self-engage and could come up to the "stall" themselves and "play" ?
    Thanks for your time.
    Si.

2. A bit of background about myself...
    • Qualified as a secondary school teacher in the subject area of ICT/Computing.
    • First role was 4 years ago at an FE college - about to start 5th year of teaching
    I have been asked to deliver a taster morning at a local secondary school to encourage interest in the college. I have loads of great ideas, however we have been told that sessions will be on a 10 minute rolling conveyor belt!
    Does anyone have any good ideas for what I can deliver to numerous groups in that space of time! Alos has anyone any good ideas for activities where students self-engage and could come up to the "stall" themselves and "play" ?
    Thanks for your time.
    Si.

3. colwynexile

colwynexile Occasional commenter

Having dealt with transition between stages I would say that the time you've been given seems far too short to run anything more meaningful than "this is what we do, this is what we use, this is what you'll get, here's an example, questions?" If this is the case you'll need to make is short, snappy, and emphasising the benefits of your course.
    As far as an "activity attractant" goes, it will all depend on the course you are doing;
    • Show pupils the front end of a file (Database for example) that they have designed to make it easier to input data
    • Show coding of macros, etc and what they do when executed
    • Create a basic web page using html / css / etc using hint sheets
    Hope this gives some ideas of what to do