1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I work 2 full days and 1 full morning per week is 0.5 contract week correct?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by simsparkes, Dec 6, 2018.

1. simsparkes

simsparkes New commenter

I work as a PPA cover teacher and teach all day Mondays and Tuesdays plus Wednesday mornings. Is it right that I get paid on a 0.5 contract? Our school days are 8.45am till 12.15pm mornings ( with 15 minutes break), I cover break on Monday and Wednesday mornings, I also attend staff meetings every Tuesday afternoon. Afternoon sessions are 1.15pm to 3.15pm. I receive no PPA time but my headteacher says they will increase my contract to 0.55. Is this correct? Thanks in advance.

2. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

I think assemblies don't count in the calculation. You don't count breaks, either - just teaching time and PPA time.

Ignoring assemblies: school's teaching week = 5.25x5 = 26.25, your teaching week = 13.75+10% PPA = 15.125
    15.125/26.25 = 0.576...

If there's 15 minutes assembly every morning, it would be 14.3/25 = 0.572.

Staff meetings and duties don't come into the calculation. Once you've got your proportion of teaching/PPA time, whether it's 0.55 or 0.57 or whatever, multiply that by 1265 to find your directed time. They cannot direct you for more than that time, so if your teaching time, PPA time, duties, staff meetings, etc add up to more than that over the year, you can politely enquire about reducing that - perhaps by skipping selected staff meetings that have little relevance to you.

nvanlimbeek likes this.
  3. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Senior commenter

How many lessons are there in the morning and how many in the afternoon?

On the face of it no it does not seem like a 0.5 contract.

4. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Frustum is correct. It depends on your own school’s exact timings but 0.55 sounds about right. More important is your lack of PPA time which you must have. Some schools deal with this for part timers by paying them for the 10% extra time. Is this what your head is saying she is doing to make 0.55? In that case you need something like 0.6 to cover the time plus PPA. Or they cover you for a relevant session to save the extra money .

5. livingstone83

livingstone83 New commenter

Google NUT part time calculator.

It will give you a link to a handy spreadsheet.

I used this in negotiation with 3 separate members of part time staff (Union Rep for 7 years). One of them resulted in a pay rise, two of them in reduction of hours.

6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Standard question - do you work under STPCD conditions? If so, this sounds wrong, and you should be getting PPA. Paying you at .55 would give you the PPA, but then it would not allow for mornings being longer than afternoons.

By the way, if the school were to allow for the difference in durations of the two sessions each day, you might find somebody working more afternoons than mornings getting paid less.

7. simsparkes

simsparkes New commenter

8. simsparkes

simsparkes New commenter

Thanks for your reply. I am going to be paid for my PPA time at 10 % of my contract so the school suggested my part-time contract should be 0.55.

9. simsparkes

simsparkes New commenter

10. simsparkes

simsparkes New commenter

Thanks for your very detailed reply. We have assemblies lasting 15 minutes each afternoon so in effect that is 30 minutes. Mornings 8.45 to 12.15pm with 15 minutes break so 3 hours each morning.

11. simsparkes

simsparkes New commenter

12. simsparkes

simsparkes New commenter

3 hours in morning and 2 hours in afternoon including 15 minutes assembly. Thanks for your reply.

13. simsparkes

simsparkes New commenter

14. simsparkes

simsparkes New commenter

Thanks I will do this.

15. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Look up STPCD 2018, the guidance on 'Part time teachers' remuneration on page 71. It gives a detailed template for calculating what fraction of a week you are working, and so what fractional salary you must receive, under STPCD terms of employment.

If you are in an LA school, or an academy that has incorporated STPCD into your contract of employment, that is the only legal way to work out your part-time fraction.

16. simsparkes

simsparkes New commenter

Thanks for your help. Using the advice you've shared I have calculated that I should receive 0.572 of full time pay. Thanks again