1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I won't be working all summer

Discussion in 'Primary' started by kevfrombrum, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Thought I would get this in now before we have someone start the " I won't be having a holiday because I will be preparing for September all summer " thread. What, a load of rubbish. Get prepared and sorted before you break up. Sort class, do labels, sort out planning and get some nice introductory activities done for the first week. Too many people moan on here about working through holidays because they feel it's the right thing to say. Have a break stop moaning and get back in the class in September with a smile on your face after a ridiculously long holiday

2. Do you people ever sleep???!!!

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Which would work to a point, except the room will be cleared completely during the holiday to have the floor redone. Planning isn't going to happen, because I'm busy planning for now, no time to look up work for a whole new year group and topic.

Besides there is a ridiculously long holiday. So first week: clear out new classroom of all the previous teacher's ****. Last week: put in all the nice new stuff for meeeee, do some planning and get things ready!

And still four weeks total holiday in the middle, as much as many people have in a whole entire year!

4. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

One day a week in work for me, five days in total over the summer,plus a bit of planning at home ( on the couch, wine glass in hand, TV on watching some lazy television)
    Makes up for the rest of the year!

5. clawthorpegirl

clawthorpegirl New commenter

I won't be working much either the summer either... lucky me I'm starting a new job as a non-class based AHT in September!
    One visit first week of holidays to drop off some stuff and set up my workspace and that'll probably be it!

6. wordclass

wordclass New commenter

Some say:
    A) I won't spend a second of my holiday doing any work - I efficiently use my PPA time in the last few weeks of term.
    Others claim:
    B) I've got to spend **** amount of time sorting out my new classroom.
    Never believe either of these 'camps' - I certainly fall in the middle, somewhere. M

7. Alternatively, believe them because they are telling the truth. Some people have little that needs changing other than a few displays taking down etc. They have no changes in year group, no changes in work schemes, no changes in leadership, no changes in classroom, full PPA in the last couple of weeks etc. They ARE able to be prepared.
    Others have a new head with new ideas, new planning formats, new classrooms (Often with work taking place meaning that things literally cannot be done before summer BUT have to be in place by the first day back), new year group, limited/non-existant PPA in the last couple of weeks etc.
    It very much depends on your circumstances - it doesn't mean people are lieing.
    I've moved classrooms every year for the past 4 years! I'm packed up but not allowed to remove displays etc until a date dictated by the head and we are not 'swapping' classrooms until next week, so I cannot prepare much more at the moment. Fortunately next week we have a half day to swap and start to pack things away in their new places. I'll probably go in for one day over the holidays to sort my classroom and displays out, and spend another day or two planning and getting my head around the needs of my new class.
    If I wasn't moving classrooms and didn't have a new head starting, It'd be easier and I wouldn't need to go in over summer at all.

8. Waterfin

Waterfin New commenter

I am freakishly prepared for September this year. I am benefitting from not changing topics or year groups. I' have had to stay late for 3 evenings for shows and parents' evening so have spent that time doing the usual deep-clean and organise of my shelves that I normally do in the holidays.
    Some of our displays are permanent so don't need changing or have fabric backings so they survive far better than paper.
    The TA who spends time in my year group had spare time when the shows were on so made a start on next year's resources and general paperwork - golden time, homework charts, tray labels etc.
    The stock has arrived for next year and is being sorted by another TA with the help of the work experience kids and a couple of my helpful boys volunteered to fill my new pencil pots with the bits ad pieces for the tables for next year.
    We have a 'housekeeping hour' planned after the leavers' service next week. The children will tidy and empty their trays next week. All assessments etc will be given back for them to put in their folders and they will choose work for their own best book. They will clean their own trays and then do any random tidying that remains (washing whiteboards and their rubbers always seems to be a popular job!)
    On the last day, they will take any books we aren't keeping home. I will find it hard to find much to do for even half a day this year at this rate. Compared to 2 full weeks a couple of years ago when I moved yeargroups and took over the classroom of a complete hoarder. I will take home planning on my memory stick to look over and make sure it is up to scratch. But that is all.

9. Waterfin, I'm in the same situation as you and am looking forward to a good break. The last three years have been tough with different rooms and year groups but this year I'm staying put, with the same colleagues and topics so hopefully it will be a breeze! I still love going in for day or to with just the radio for company and lots of new books, pens and pencils though!

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I've decided to fall out with anyone who is staying in the same room, with the same staff and the same year group.

Just so you all know... :)

11. I'm in the same room, with the same staff and the same year group, as I have been for 9 years!
    Too busy with this year's group to even think about next year's lot before the end of the holidays. I don't do tray or cloakroom labels. If I can get away with the same displays I will do, although one's been up for 3 years, and someone might just notice. 5 weeks off, 1 week in at the end of the holidays. It works for me.

12. My head has asked me to go in during august to look at data.
    I am a classroom teacher- not year leader, no tlr,not smt.

I said no. He is now very cross.
    Thoughts? Im a bit worried about the reprocussions!
    Should point out I will be in for a couple of days in july, so im not shirking!

13. Or you could be nuts like me and have got yourself a 4 week long Summer job!!
    That means 4 weeks of call centre work, followed by 7 blissful days with my fiance lounging on a sun bed in Malta, followed by 1 week of planning, tidying, sorting, arranging and getting some last minute lay-ins in before starting back in Sept! :)

14. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Moving rooms so a bit more to do than usual. Will move most things when the kids finish at lunchtime on the last day, Displays will have gone down from next Monday. Will tweak planning during last PPA time but medium term plans tend not to change much here so there's not much to do. I'm teaching the same kids so I don't need to look at any assessment data. I intend to spend my holiday:
    - Relaxing with my wife and daughter
    - Drinking wine
    - Reading books
    - Listening to music
    - Going for lovely walks
    - Cooking lovely things to eat
    - Making homebrew and drinking it
    - Continuing my fruitless efforts to tame our luxuriant garden
    - Drinking more wine
    - Reading more books

I will go in a couple of mornings in the last week to get the room ready. That's it. I won't think about school at all other than that. Life's too short to laminate, folks.

15. Hmm, might also attempt to read about Mr Grey, as everyone else in the world is talking about it!

16. Don't. It'll be a few hours of your life that you will never get back. Biggest load of tosh ever. I would rather sit down and read some of the writing that the children in my class produce.

17. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I've ordered Mr Grey ready to read...

18. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

No work in Summer? I stopped working a couple of weeks ago. [​IMG]

19. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Due to building work I cannot access my new classroom til Sept 3rd so it will be a mad dash to get it ready but my summer will be my own!