1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I wondered what tutors thought of this article?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by briancant, Jul 5, 2020.

1. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

2. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I don't know who is willing to pay £95 per hour. I think it's clear from some of the pupils I tutor that the many teachers haven't been making much effort to do the job they are paid for.

3. briancant

I totally agree. I tutor one girl who has no contact with her maths teacher. She has emailed him about ten times to be given a mymaths password he hasn't even responded. It angers me to think he may be sat at home on zoom tutoring whilst on a full-time salary for a job he isn't doing.

lorencanna likes this.
  4. gainly

gainly Star commenter

There is clearly a great difference between what independent schools have been doing, because they still need to justify charging fees, and what the state schools haven't been doing. Even when they've had years 10 and 12 in for one day a week recently, they don't seem to have had many proper lessons. One school, on the first day back, the pupils only went in for an hour for an "induction".

I wonder what will happen in September when they are supposed to be back full time.

5. briancant

Stuck between Gavin Williamson, Amanda Spielman, and the NUT I feel so sorry for these children.

I hope HMRC aggressively investigates these teachers who are doing private online tutoring whilst they are on full pay and supposed to be teaching their students.

BG54 likes this.
  6. BG54

BG54 Occasional commenter

I can only echo the above comments. The general feedback from my tutees is that the quality of the online classes for most subjects has been very mixed during lockdown.

At a couple of local state schools the Maths teaching during lockdown has seemingly consisted of a minimum of class-based teaching of topics and referring the students to watch, for example, Hegarty Maths videos and answer the associated questions. That may work for some topics but two of my Y10 tutees were using this method to try and understand the complexities of applying the sine and cosine rules.

Unsurprisingly they requested that the topic be covered in the tuition lessons.

7. gainly

gainly Star commenter

Nothing quite as bad as the girl @briancant mentioned but still pretty bad

One year 12 student seems to just have been told to work from the textbook with almost no guidance..

A year 10 student has been given rather pointless worksheets just to fill in the time, like a "lesson" doing a worksheet on rounding numbers.

Another year 10 student has been given power points to go through by herself on topics very few could understand without help. In some cases they have gone beyond what's needed for GCSE. In another case, a series of power points they'd been given about the big bang contained various "facts" which are not correct, such as the universe being likely to end in a big crunch, which was shown to be wrong over 20 years ago.

8. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I can't imagine HMRC will investigate this. Surely it is the responsibility of the headteacher and all the other senior managers which schools have now to ensure teachers are doing the job they are paid for and providing children with an education. Of course some children still would't do any work, but they should at least be given the opportunity.

lorencanna and doctoryes like this.
  9. cwilson1983

cwilson1983 Occasional commenter

I know it's only anecdotal evidence, but both myself and other colleague have worked hard to keep a semblance of routine and purposeful learning going for students. A typical day includes: emailing resources for a lesson, usually part of a sequence in a topic, often with video/audio guidance and/or a supplementary Zoom lesson. The rest of the day would be spent marking and providing feedback, attending staff meetings over Zoom and answering numerous queries over email. Not to mention those staff who have gone into their schools regularly, if not daily as in the case of my wife, to support key worker and vulnerable students.

As I say, this is only anecdotal evidence, and I can't speak for the wider teaching profession. However, I wouldn't necessarily believe what the DM are pedalling.

10. doctoryes

doctoryes Occasional commenter

I suspect that HMRC will be investigating if some of these tutors are working as self-employed and not declaring it!
    However some of the people advertising on these sites may not be full-time employees. They could be supply teachers and I wouldn't expect journalists to have investigated whether this is the case.
    When I was on the website used in this research, there was a least one tutor who claimed to work at my daughter's secondary school as a teacher, but this person wasn't on the staff list! So there may be other issues going on here as well.

11. Boardingmaster

Boardingmaster Occasional commenter

I tutored during lunchtimes over zoom ( good time for china) even pre-pandemic, and have done a little during my frees during it (independent school teacher so teaching a relatively full online timetable). As long as it isn’t affecting a teacher’s regular work why should it be any different to tutoring in the evening? Or would it be equally offensive to daily mail readers to take that hour as an extended lunch break?

as for tax, maybe I’m naive, but surely you’d be mad not to pay tax on zoom tutoring as presumably it is all paid electronically? If youre a CF (to use mumsnet parlance), surely you can only get away with it cash in hand?