1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I wonder what's really happening at this school ...

Discussion in 'Education news' started by harsh-but-fair, Dec 16, 2015.

1. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Start of story ...

Staff at the Academy of Trinity in Radstock contacted officers from Avon and Somerset Police to request they stand outside the school gates when children arrive in the morning and leave in the afternoon.

Later on the report says ...

It has been revealed that the National Union of Teachers had visited the school in the days before the letter was sent to parents to talk over concerns with teachers and that it was now pursuing grievances affecting seven members of staff who were all teachers at the school when they put in the complaints.

It was also revealed that a total of 23 teachers and former teachers had contacted the union to voice their concerns.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Police...school-gates/story-28369238-detail/story.html

The comments are worth a read too - those that are left.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

3. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Lead commenter

The parent of one of the TEACHERS that worked at Trinity, in Radstock, told me that if ever he met that woman in the street, he would punch her in the mouth ! His child was a teacher there and was an NQT working until midnight every day and the same at weekends - with lots of "essential" jobs still to do. Lots of pressure and bullying, with them being blackmailed over them reaching certain standards. Tears most evenings.
    A past governor told me that she was an actress, interested in promoting herself, rather than the kids or the school. I understand that she has met with David Cameron.
    I am a primary teacher, living near the school but I don't fancy a job there! Would you?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

It sounds like a sad story, with "excellence" built upon exploitative exhaustion,

Mrsmumbles and Mangleworzle like this.
  5. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

An increasingly common scenario in schools. Rediculous.

6. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Sounds like a nasty place, teaching is becoming like the garment industry is in some countries with the workers taking the pain and the "leaders" taking the praise and profits.

Mrsmumbles, needabreak and drek like this.
  7. schoolsout4summer

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  8. drek

drek Lead commenter

Sounds like a sweatshop type of school. Aren't outstanding high street retailers the same?
    The highest paid executives are often the ones who can make the public forget their dodgy employment track record, announce the best profits and increase shareholders earnings.
    An acceptable part of our culture now. Don't think the public care. Their kids are getting 'outstanding' teaching aren't they, and outstandingly cheap clothing and food too!

9. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

A huge factor in all this is that it is the governors and trustees who appoint the HT - so while teachers often slam the SLT and leadership of schools, it is those who are not actively involved in any actual teaching or education who appoint the person at the top, to pursue their idea of what the school should be. The HT and/or SLT maybe awful to work for/with, but it is the governors who chose them to make the school into their vision of what it should be.

lizziescat likes this.
  10. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

27 children have left the school since 1st September, so, outstanding it may be, but it appears the parents aren't happy with the school either.

According to BBC news, the teachers have now voted to strike:

'Teachers at a Somerset school have voted to strike over bullying and harassment claims of staff.

The National Teachers' Union (NUT) said it was also worried about workloads, maternity rights and the lack of support for newly-qualified teachers at Academy of Trinity School, in Radstock.

Parents have also removed 27 children since 1 September, though some because they were moving home.

The Dove Family Trust, which runs the school, said it would comment later.'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-35130150

11. schoolsout4summer

12. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Can the 'Chair' of the Dove Family Trust named in the press reports as Terry Hillier be the same Terry Hillier who "set up my own company, Education Payroll Services. The company grew quickly and formed the platform for RACS Group, which I established in 2007"

As they both share the same unusual middle name, I think they must be. No conflict of interest there, then.

13. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

How odd!

I was just this minute googling said gentleman myself, and wondered the same thing!

Edit: Odd in the sense that your reply wasn't there when I went off to google :)

14. FreeSpeaker

FreeSpeaker Occasional commenter

To be an outstanding school the staff are expected to work hard. For every outsanding teacher in the UK, there's many who don't make the effort.
    No teacher is tied to the school. If you can't take the heat, move on, and allow outsatanding staff to join the obviously hard working dedicated headteacher.
    I thought personal attacks weren't allowed on TES forums, so is TheoGriff linking to articles which have a photo of the outstanding Head.

15. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Because the article is pertinent to the discussion on here?
    If you have a complaint about any post on this thread (or any other) do feel free to utilise the "report" link found at the base of every post

16. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter Forum guide

...and failed in their duty to oversee the working of the school.
    Why haven't they gone? Where similar has happened in the past the governing body has been replaced (ahh but they weren't academies...)

17. lizziescat

The issue is about bullying and denial of legal rights
    and your evidence for this is?

Is this your stance on the bullying of students? This is what you would say to parents of a child damaged or killed by bullying?

18. FreeSpeaker

and your evidence for the gossip rmongering you're engaging in? The defamation of a headteacher that TheoGriff is engaging in?
    Such gossip is not the thing of outstanding educators. I'm prepared to defend a head against idle gossip by failed teachers until there is real evidence.
    Adults are not children. Teachers can walk away if they can't cope with the pace.

19. lizziescat

I am not a 'failed teacher'

Not sure where I have 'gossip mongered' but rather have commented on an aspect of Education News. (without recourse to insults of other posters.)
    I am prepared to defend teachers against wild generalisations of posters who can not back up their accusations with any evidence

20. FreeSpeaker

Teacher contacting parents about their grievances? shocking unprofessional behaviour. Only failed teachers and union reps whipping up hysteria are going to engage in this kind of mindless gossip.