1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I WLL become a Primary School Teacher

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by welshchocoholic1, Aug 25, 2011.

1. welshchocoholic1

welshchocoholic1 Occasional commenter

Hi all. Hope you're enjoying your summer holidays. Was wondering if anyone could help. I am a Secondary School MFL trained teacher and have already achieved my NQT year. However It is in the Primary sector where I really want to work. I know that there are loads of primary trained teachers still looking for a job, and there are no conversion courses. I have also had a lot of long term supply teaching in some Primary Schools where I have got some very good references. However I live in a very rural area in Wales where there just are no jobs, teaching or otherwise. That is why I have made the decision to move to Birmingham in September and have already signed up with a few agencies. I was just wondering if anyone has been able to make the transition themselves, if there are any courses I can do or has any one got any advice at all? I DO realise how difficult it is but I am VERY determined. I have had 1 primary school interview, which I didn't get but I am getting there slowly I hope.

2. welshchocoholic1

Hi all. Hope you're enjoying your summer holidays. Was wondering if anyone could help. I am a Secondary School MFL trained teacher and have already achieved my NQT year. However It is in the Primary sector where I really want to work. I know that there are loads of primary trained teachers still looking for a job, and there are no conversion courses. I have also had a lot of long term supply teaching in some Primary Schools where I have got some very good references. However I live in a very rural area in Wales where there just are no jobs, teaching or otherwise. That is why I have made the decision to move to Birmingham in September and have already signed up with a few agencies. I was just wondering if anyone has been able to make the transition themselves, if there are any courses I can do or has any one got any advice at all? I DO realise how difficult it is but I am VERY determined. I have had 1 primary school interview, which I didn't get but I am getting there slowly I hope.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I moved from secondary to primary and you really don't need to do a course. You have had an interview already, which is more than many primary trained teachers have managed, so are doing well!

Lots of supply in primary will really be the best way to get yourself a post. Make a fabulous impression and learn all you can. Be really, really flexible and accommodating with the agencies so that you get lots and lots of work. Be amazing in the schools and they will ask for you back.

And best of luck...primary really is a much nicer place to be!

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I agree with minnieminx that you've done well tp get an interview. If you're determined just keep plugging away.
    Conversion courses no longer run as there's an over-abundance of qualified Primary teachers now, but any work you get will train you on the job anyway.
    Are you interested in PMFL or prepared to teach all subjects? It will make a difference.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Yes, in principle, but you then restrict your availability to do supply, so in practice no. A school doesn't want a volunteer who says they can come in whenever they didn't get a call about supply. Nor do they want someone who says they can do every Thursday, but rings on 1/4 to say they have supply and can't come in. And a supply agency wants teachers available every day.
    Ages ago I moved from Secondary to middle. Then 5 years ago from middle to primary. It took a long time (3 years) of supply (long and short term) and a year contract to get a permanent post, but I am also on UPS so very expensive. But supply was fabulous fun, gives a great work life balance and allowed me to learn an awful lot about primary education. The only reason to want a full time permanent post was for career progression really.

Be proactive with agencies and with local schools, visit with a CV and letter don't just post. Be cheerful and keen in even the worst schools and you will get there in the end.

6. welshchocoholic1

Thanks for your comments. They really do help. Lara MFL I would like to cover all subjects which is what I have been previously doing, but would welcome the opportunity to do either. I also have Music which I'm told will help in Primary Schools.
    I thought that about volunteering too, as in it would look good on CV, but I need to do actual supply work and don't want to turn this down. I have also applied to a few middle schools, but only toward the end of last year. I am going to go into some of the schools with my CV. I did that where I live atm as there are no supply agencies, and got supply in other schools by Word of Mouth. I'm not sure whether it's going to work like that in Birmingham or not. Know this is a stupid question but can you send your CV to Independent schools too, or do they have a different system? Def going to be pro active. I used to help in brownies. Would it be worth volunteering for something like this again as not n school hours?
    Thanks both for reading and posting your thoughts. Just feel like I'm hitting a brick wall at times. I do know I'm not the only one, but need to keep reminding myself of this. Well getting ready for the big move. Am heading up to the big city on Thursday - going to be A LOT different from a village in rural Wales!

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Ring them up and ask them if they are looking. Then make an appointment to go and visit and talk to the HT/whoever. Prep schools would probably be a good place for you as lots of subject teaching, but younger children as well.

Actually ring primary schools near to where you end up and ask if you can bring your CV in and have a chat with the HT about doing supply. Much better than just posting.

Yes definitely worth helping in brownies and that kind of thing, shows you understand younger children, etc.

You have already had one interview for a primary post, that is one more than many primary trained teachers. You are definitely not hitting an impenetrable brick wall.

Good Luck with your move to the city.

8. welshchocoholic1

Yep I know it is VERY difficult, but this is what I am passionate about. Shame I didn' t do the Primary PGCE but no point in looking back now. Have to look forwards! Asked about PGCE, but have already done one and have QTS etc! I am not so naive as to think that I will walk into a job when there are plenty of primary trained teachers still looking for a job, but I have to try!

Thanks, I will have a look at the Independent Forum. I am also thinking about saving up for one of your Interview workshops. Moving to Birmingham in the next couple of days. I am determined to do this even if it is a struggle. Thanks for your advice.

9. I worked in a school that had a MFL Secondary teacher who'd just completed their first year in primary, she was also from Wales and it was also in Birmingham so there's your exact situation covered.

Croeso i Birmingham! Pob luc!