1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I wish some parents would actually parent their children sometimes.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by peakster, Aug 6, 2020.

1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Just got back from a bike ride. On the way out I passed through the park - lots of children playing happily with parents watching on.

....and then I saw this lad (about 5-6 years old) wearing a blue tee shirt with parents close by. He had a sullen expression on his face and an angry demeanour. About 10 yards away from where he was were the resident Swans (Mum, Dad and 6 large youngsters) who always spend the evening and the night in the same place and were all relaxing by the pond.

Anyway - firstly he picked up this large stick, whirled it round his head and threw it at the Swans, it missed so he went off to find another. When he did find one he advanced on the youngsters and I really thought he was going to hit one of them with it. The male Swan then hissed at him - he hesitated, thought about having a whack at it and wisely decided against it. He then threw the stick into the pond and followed that with a couple of stones.

Parents did nothing, said nothing - just let him get on with it.

He must be an absolute joy to teach.

2. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Lead commenter

I have a small postcard on my desk. It is a cat. It has the caption "I Hate People".
    Cats are often right.

3. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

The result of leftist post-1960s culture, when the idea of individual responsibility and self-discipline went out of the window and was replaced by the idea that "yooman rites" were the only thing that mattered and that NOT giving a kid a good hiding for misbehaviour was somehow going to benefit it - and society - in the long run.
    Leftist ideology sowed the wind; the whole world is now reaping the whirlwind.

DrLinus and lexus300 like this.
  4. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

What an utterly ridiculous extrapolation devoid of fact and experience.

Were you given a "good hiding"? it would explain a lot.

Another vapid rant.

knitone, colacao17, LiamD and 9 others like this.
  5. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Absolute joke of a post

knitone, colacao17, LiamD and 5 others like this.
  6. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Obscene I would say.

emilystrange, TCSC47 and hplovegame48 like this.
  7. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

I wasn't, actually: I was reasonably biddable as a kid.

But I sure know how to press buttons don't I? :D

Must away: meeting pals for a pint later. Have a good evening, on and all. :)

lexus300 and alex_teccy like this.
  8. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Night falls early in other time-zones.

Jolly_Roger15 likes this.
  9. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Deleted - no point in responding to puerile wind ups.

knitone likes this.
  10. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Rarely have I been in such accord with a post! You are spot on about kids no longer being taught proper responsibility. We ought to all, for example, take a leaf out of this Notably Right Of Centre Parent's book
    https://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/3c9jqa/dont_let_your_child_get_lost/

Jonntyboy and lexus300 like this.
  11. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

A lot of righties have badly behaved children, too.
    Also, when some children appear to be misbehaving, it might be the case they have ALN/SEND. Not that this would justify the parents not intervening in the case OP mentions, of course.
    It is very hard for parents now-a few years ago one of my neighbours was in tears because her son was doing things like this-he'd been very good before starting school, yet started copying other children, despite her doing the best she could. Was there more to it? Was he perfect before? I can't say, but I know of many parents/teachers who've said similar.

12. circuskevin

circuskevin Established commenter

I would have offered to show the lad a magic trick. I would then remind him to be kind to animals.

TCSC47 likes this.
  13. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Star commenter

Just a boy up to mischief and learning a valuable lesson about the natural world, you’re agressive to animals, they’re agressive back. Anyway why can’t he be in a bad mood?

14. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

I see this lack of parental attention frequently -or rather I notice it. Some adults are worried that intervention and the ' NO' word will upset the child. The child will very quickly realise that parents will do pretty much anything to avoid a scene. Parents have told me in the past that they find it hard to get Mannie off the computer . I suggest may options such as pulling the plug etc and they are horrified. @ He won't like it,' they say.
    I'm certain though that it's always been like this -there are parents who are conscious of their child's behaviour in public and will intervene effectively if necessary and there are those who almost seem to flaunt the fact that they have spawned a brat.
    The one that gets me is the the screamy shouty youngster whose parents do not look up from their phones.

Jonntyboy and agathamorse like this.
  15. Sally006

Sally006 Lead commenter

I admire you for being so restrained. I probably would have said something and involved myself in something I later regretted. Very similar park to me with a swan family I love visiting. The males are fiercely protective but I can’t bear to think of anyone hurting them, young or old. As you say, a right little horror and some poor soul has to teach him.

16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The male Swan might well have attacked if he had hit one of the cygnets. It may have taught him a lesson.

agathamorse, Pageant and jellycowfish like this.
  17. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I have seen similar things and I have nicely told the child in front of their parents in a mild voice, that it is not nice to throw things at animals. Who knows what effect it may have but it has to be done. It may be a waste of breath, but it is the least I can do. It is not easy to do though.

Urmm-m, -- and then walked quickly away!

18. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Sometimes the teacher instinct just takes over though.

I was in a bus in Penang (going to the amazing Butterfly sanctuary) - it's not easy to get to - the bus goes round a series of hairpin bends as it wends it's merry way inland. There were 4 small kids on the bus - their parents were sat at the back. These kids were haring up and down the aisle (there were no seat belts) and it was really quite dangerous - eventually the inevitable happened and one of them tripped and clattered an old lady sitting opposite before heading back down the bus.

I stood up and faced them as they came barrelling down the aisle again and raised my hand with the palm facing towards them (I also tried to look stern). They ground to a halt in front of me. I pointed towards the back of the bus and they all quietly trooped back to their parents. I then pointed towards the seats and they all sat down. One more death stare and then I returned to my seat.

They were quiet for the rest of my journey.

19. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Another excuse making rant for spoiled brats.

20. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

In a busy shopping centre one Saturday pre-pandemic, a sizeable group of boys were engaged in the all time best fun activity of running up the down escalator. I used the' voice'. " I don't think so, gentlemen"
    A chorus of " sorry sir " came back. They didn't attend my school but I guess a teacher's voice ........