1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I wish older men would just stop....

Discussion in 'Personal' started by cosmos, Aug 17, 2012.

1. ...dying their hair. I'm looking at Ray Davies on Breakfast, he had that odd reddish colour that so many seem to affect......Cliff Richard, Macca, Elton.
    It's hideous. It fools nobody.
    There's nothing wrong with being grey!

2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Especially when you're 50 shades of.............................
    [​IMG]
    sorry Cosmos [​IMG]

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I had an email from a friend, with an attachment purporting to be a free copy of the book. When I opened it it turned out to be a Dulux colour chart with 50 shades of grey.

4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Oh ***!
    Yet ANOTHER thread which groups together 'men' - this time apparently all "older men" on the entire planet.
    I wish women would stop generalising!!
    Nomad - annoyed despite having a grey beard and greying hair.....

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Ha ha.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Last time I checked, I could have sworn there were a couple of hair dyes for women as well [​IMG]

7. nomad

nomad Star commenter

That was, of course, deliberate.

8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Its not grey, it is 'silver'![​IMG]

9. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

I have seen Nomad's beard:
    [​IMG]

10. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

It's that reddish, henna colour that is so unconvincing. What sorts of hairdressers do these men have? Grey is fine on older men but I guess some must find it too sad to look in one of their many mirrors or something.
    Ray Davies has wispy, weird hair.That's what screamed out at me when I saw him at the Closing Ceremony.
    JUST GET IT CUT.

11. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I can't bear it when men (elderly or otherwise) have clearly had "work" done on their face. I know that logically this should not bother me any more than it does when I see women who have had similar "work" done, but I think it is that I expect men to have sufficient sense to be able to rise above such vanity.

12. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Cosmos is right. It's that weird shade that looks strange. You'd think well off men such as those would have better hairdressers.

13. At least they have hair to dye. :¬((

14. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Henna has been used for centuries. I know older people with bright orange henna-ed hair. It takes a bit of getting used to, but it's actually good for hair, so good on 'em. A very elderly man I did a series of photos of, had bright orange hair and long beard framing a wrinkly brown face - quite striking.
    I am a woman who colours her hair to restore it to mousey brown. I found people treated me differently with a bit of grey and I was job hunting at the time so gave it a go. Once you start, it takes a bit of an effort to keep up with the roots and my daughter is always nagging me to do a retouch.
    Men usually look better with a bit of grey, for some reason, but if they choose not to, then that's up to them.
    It's not that unusual for middle-aged women to add in a bit of unusual colour like red or blue either, but blokes tend not to. No reason really why they shouldn't I suppose.The Ronald Reagan black atop wrinkles look isn't too good, tho'.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

People stand up on public transport to offer me their seat!

16. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I lok good i think despite my greying hair.
    My daughter reckons i should dye my hair but i cant be bothered......tough im old .but do i care? lol

17. You undoubtedly look good because of your greying hair oldie!
    I like grey hair on both men and women. Apologies to nomad btw....I should of course have said SOME older men. I also dislike dyed hair on older women too.
    It doesn't make you look younger - it just makes you look odd.

18. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Colleagues kept telling me I looked tired and asked if I was getting enough sleep. I coloured my hair subtly just to cover grey, and was told I was looking well [​IMG]

19. tidal

tidal New commenter

Hmm Happy to comply Cosmos........ When of course women are happy to face the day without any of those things they perceive as "aids to beauty"...... You know, make-up and the like *awaits feedback*

20. kittylion

kittylion Senior commenter

But Cosmos, if I didn't dye mine it would be grey/white on the top and at the sides and brown at the back - now that WOULD make me look odd (or odder than usual).