1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I win! I win!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Grandsire, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Grandsire

Grandsire Occasional commenter

Jargon bingo boards at the ready 'cos our Inset was a corker! Here's just a few from the handout:
    • reciprocal teaching
    • direct instruction
    • individualized instruction
    • teaching thinking skills
    • metacognitive strategies
    • meta-cognition strategies (how are these two different - and do I care?)
    • making learning visible
    • providing logical connections
    • achieveable challenges and the zone of proximal development
    • develop effective strategies to process the information intended to be learnt
    • teaching self verbalisation
    • pupils collaborating productively
    • problem-based learning
    • inquiry-based learning
    • mastery learning
    • higher order thinking
    • personalised learning and diagnostic assessment
    • goals challenging (as in "are you a goals-challenging teacher?" - my personal favourite)
    • inductive teaching
    • whole-language teaching
    • disciplined, structured, systematic, content-specific, individualised, bespoke teaching (can we fit any more adjectives in there....?)
    As you can imagine, I soon lost the will to live. Is this really how people think and talk about education?

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Oh my goodness! [​IMG]
    I defy anybody to beat that list! (Unless you know better .....)

3. For the love of God, what is wrong with these people?!!!!

4. OMG - that's amazing! Why didn't I do that though - once I'd lost my bingo ( the winning teacher triumphantly passed her winning paper across the table to me with a flourish!) I switched off. I shoudl have been noting down the blurb although it was nothing like yours Grandsire.
    Rocket science was mentioned a lot - I did begin to wonder if this was a new part of the curriculum...

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

All at the same time? Or can I do a different one each day?

It really is a good thing I don't teach in your school....Do they provide TAs to support teachers in INSET?

Actually I missed our INSET today, but will be at tomorrow's. I sincerely hope you aren't in my school and this is what I missed!!

6. coffeecakes

coffeecakes New commenter

I genuinely have no idea what 95% of those things mean. Poor you!

7. zannar

zannar New commenter

Put this into simple terms and its what we do all day every day isn't it? Perhaps my basic language skills, call a kettle a kettle and not a heating recepticle for water, mean I am no longer able to do this job! [​IMG]

8. Grandsire

Grandsire Occasional commenter

Yeah, I was left feeling the same: am I really so out of touch with modern ideas I can't even understand what they're saying, let alone know how these ideas might change what I do in my classroom for the better?
    I just kept thinking about all the teachers sitting there - that vast pool of knowledge, experience, passion and creativity - numbed into silence and boredom by training that was so bogged down in jargon as to make it incomprehensible. Just think what else could we have done in that time that would have had more of an impact on our pupils!

9. Oh dear, nothing else to say!

10. zannar

zannar New commenter

I spent 3 hours listening to consultants. I learned not to ask only closed questions,to extend questioning as much as possible and to help children to become more independent.
    What did I do before this invaluable insight?

11. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I seem to remember hearing that before somewhere.
    Any mention of the 80 / 20 rule yet?
    Can be applied to most situations - 80% of talk is teacher based, 20% pupils
    80% of initiatives are rubbish. 20% are ok
    80% of paperwork is unnecessary

12. zannar

zannar New commenter

I have to admit I have not heard of this.
    I have to say that most of the paperwork completed over the past few days will not help me with my teaching, will have no interest to the children and has to be duplicated in different formats to be hidden in a cupboard just in case.[​IMG]

13. I have just written a lot of planning that I will not use just because my HT wants some planning in the format that she wants. I have spent less time time more productively on finding some nice resources that will actually use! *0/20 rule in practice.