1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I will not vote

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by subman68, Feb 2, 2016.

1. subman68

subman68 Occasional commenter

Just been reading about the shambles the SNP are making of budget and there claim that the loss of oil revenue would not have had an impact on an independent Scotland. Do they really think we are all that daft.

Politics in Scotland is a disaster. There is no Check on the SNP (not their fault) but they are moving away from the modern left of centre politics and I fear the "tartan Tory" will make a comeback.
    Labour are a disaster, I don't mind some of Corbyns ideas but some are crazy and are making Labour unelectable.
    LibDem are completely rudderless, they have no national identity, they appear a collection of individuals just making it up as they go alone.
    Tory, well they are the Tory's aren't they, it hurts me but I kind of like the leader, she is trying to fight against DC but in the end she is still a Tory.

So do I vote? Not this time, I have always voted, never missed one, even when working in my Sub I still voted. This time I think I might just be drawing a rude symbol on my ballot paper.

2. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

3. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Yup, agree with you Subman, the whole thing is a shambles but I think it's always been like this (may be a bit worse now right enough, but swings and roundabouts come to mind?) Please vote - my great granny had friends who fought for the right for women to vote and although I didn't meet her, her stories were wonderful (my Granny told me). Maybe we have to have another independence referendum asap?

Aspen, I take it you are quite new to this board? Typos are common - people drawing attention to themselves, by highlighting said typos, are rude and sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.............(I could go on)

aspensquiver_2 and bigjimmy2 like this.
  4. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

Good point, Jon.
    Dyslexia is much more common than we previously thought and most of us make allowances these days.
    Lots of people commit typos and that's all they are. People who highlight typos feel better by belittling others. It's classic psychology.
    You wonder what some teachers are like in their classrooms, but, then again, you just can't get the staff.

aspensquiver_2 likes this.
  5. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

You seem to be mixing up two elections.
    Kezia Dugdale is the Scottish Labour leader and Corbyn isn't up for election.

I offer you the Green party. Google their policies and think of it as a vote to keep the SNP honest.

6. TheBigA

TheBigA Occasional commenter

I'm a Labour man, but the announcement that they'd put up income tax by 1p in 2017 if they win the Scottish election won't have done them any favours. The SNP are a party of broken promises, and the greens? Don't make me laugh.

7. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Lead commenter

If you don't vote, then don't complain.

Acquiesce.

Flere-Imsaho likes this.
  8. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

Disagree, effin.
    Not voting is a freedom.
    At the same time, you should vote, and for the reasons Jon stated earlier.

As a taxpayer, you can express an opinion, and, gawd forbid, even complain!

jonowen likes this.
  9. subman68

subman68 Occasional commenter

If you don't vote don't complain? why not. My vote will make no difference. I am not against the SNP or pro any other party (the majority of the time I have voted Labour) I just think the idea of "checks & balances" is non existent in Scotland at the moment.

In education we are getting more and more cuts but being asked to improve standards and attainment. I refused to meet a politician in before Xmas as she wanted a photo op with some teachers. Photo with you smiling shaking hands with the other hand stabbing you in the back.

I am in a new school. Cost £38mil to build. It is not water tight, boards don't work, chairs are the cheapest plastic you could find, car park for 38 cars but we have a staff of 60+
    But politico was happy to cut the tape. It is a sad joke what is going on.

I am going to complain, I want to hold people to account. I might run for parliament (but only if I learn how to spell first)

10. jonowen

You've got my vote Subman! (I don't care if you can't spell - actions speak louder than words ;)

11. jonowen

Ooop! Forgot my last bracket...................can't stand people who havn't a clue abput grammer ither!

Joni x

12. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

Sorry guys. My virtual red pen was guilty of the crime...

13. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

Jon, I'm sure I had an Abput Grammer in my class a long time ago.
    Kelsey's wee brother . . .

14. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

Did you mis-speak, aq2?

15. Potatoes005

Potatoes005 Occasional commenter

Makes a change someone else getting their grammar corrected - it's usually me! Good to see the recognition of dyslexia - it should never be a barrier to success!

Sub raises an interesting point. I've always voted but to be frank they're all as bad as each other at the moment as far as I'm concerned.

Mrs Sturgeon is the best but it's out of a bad lot.

16. ladywholunch

ladywholunch New commenter

Not voting is as much of a political act - whether a deliberate stance or just indifference - as any other I suppose. However writing "I am not voting as I support none of the above candidates" on a ballot form sends an actual message and is still enacting some part of hard won rights to vote.
    I always vote for the person. For years I was a Labour voter as Iiked our local MP then he was unceremoniously ousted and the SNP candidate seemed a breath of fresh air so I voted for her last year.

17. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

The system of checks and balances is that you vote. Twice.

18. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

If you're not going to vote, don't sit at home and do nothing. Why? It achieves nothing. All it means is turnout is a bit lower. Spoil your paper - scribble on it, draw rude pictures, copy out War and Peace, whatever. Then the vote gets counted, both as a spoilt paper and also in turnout. If enough people did that then you would get majorities smaller than the number of spoilt papers (this happened in 2007).